pleco caves

Baos

Was looking for a cheap way to do this. I hate shipping and no one seems to be responding to pms. So I found glass baby bottles. Not sure how well they work for breeding, but this guy seems to think it's ok! It was 3 bottles for $2 at dollarama(yea so it's the trailer park version). I found no sharp edges and they're meant to cause no harm to infants with chemicals or anything else.

HPIM2294.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen similar ideas on other sites. People have taken such items as your baby bottles and used adhesives to attach rock or sand and burried them a bit down in the sand to make it more natural looking and give the true cave effect to the pleco.

That would be neat if they breed in them. I have always meant to make my pleco a tile cave but haven't gotten to it yet. If you need I can share the instructions, they're not hard.

Feel free to hijack this thread a bit and share. No reason I can't try both.

I have cut up a piece of tile and siliconed it into a cave. My male BN Pleco uses it as his prefered spawning site in his tank.

Ok the baby bottle was a BAD IDEA. The pleco was trapped in there. while the pleco was co-operating with me and keeping his fins closed it still took quite a bit to get him out of there. It's due to the way the spout on the bottle is shaped and the fact that it opens wider on the inside.

My worst Pleco Cave story regards a pair of Columbian Zebras I had. I put a piece of PVC vertically into a small flower pot and filled in sand around the pipe to hold it in place. They were showing definite breeding behavior, and the male took up residence in the pipe. He didn't feel like it was quite right and one night wiggled the pipe out of the sand... unfortunately, the sand collapsed right around the male, trapping him. I came into the fishroom to see just his tail sticking out of the sand - rigorred stiff. :(

Was looking for a cheap way to do this. I hate shipping and no one seems to be responding to pms. So I found glass baby bottles. Not sure how well they work for breeding, but this guy seems to think it's ok! It was 3 bottles for $2 at dollarama(yea so it's the trailer park version). I found no sharp edges and they're meant to cause no harm to infants with chemicals or anything else.

HPIM2294.jpg

Try getting hold of Algaefarmer on this site,he builds pleco caves from terracotta they work well for me I've bred L134s and Ancistus Dolicoptera in them.If you have troble getting hold of him just PM me and I'll contact him for you