Is anybody else addicted to breeding fish??

fishclubgirl

So Wingin it and I were discussing this topic. Is fish breeding addictive?? Fry make me happy and are just so cute!!! If I don't have some sort of a spawn once a week, I try to find fish to breed. Don't even suggest a support group as all the online and aquarium clubs tend to encourage me. Just wondering if anyone else has this addiction???

hahaha...I was going to buy some Salvini at Pisces the other day, 'cause I wanted something to have babies! But then I realized we have 600 fish coming this weekend!

But then...yesterday I noticed a female Yellow Tail Acei holding! YAY!! I'm happy! lol

I think we have some sort of problem...lol :boxed:

So Wingin it and I were discussing this topic. Is fish breeding addictive?? Fry make me happy and are just so cute!!! If I don't have some sort of a spawn once a week, I try to find fish to breed. Don't even suggest a support group as all the online and aquarium clubs tend to encourage me. Just wondering if anyone else has this addiction???

I think it is addicting, ever since my first guppy fry 12 years ago, most of my fish are chosen because they will breed in the home aquarium. It is basically the only reason I keep more than one aquarium. I love to see fry. All of my fish are paired up so I usually have fry around. :)

I enjoy breeding challenging fish. I started with the easiest many years ago...CONVICTS! Then plakat, peacock gudgeon, apisto cac. triple red,guppies, mollies, platies, and numerous other cichlids. Now I do not have a lot of time but still enjoy the challenge. I am currently working on the Electric Blue JD. Half way there. I would say it is not addicting but rewarding.

Jonah

Not in our house, dont believe in it !

Terry doesnt want to have fry in the house, no room with only one tank...............I wish !

Kids and I go hungry, but the fry are always fed

Ted

P.S. from Terry (Theresa)

So I came to bed late the other night because I stripped 4 females (rock krib, sp. 44 red tail thick lips, albino ruby reds, sunshine peacocks) and was trying to juggle tanks about who can go where with whom and Ted just rolled over and groaned. I`m the one with the addiction problem. I love fry! Its like babies growing up into teenagers though - what do you do with them afterwards

Edited by Ted

The couple spawns I have had, I never even knew about until there was more fish swimming around in my tank. I've had mollies spawn multiple times and demonsis once and my cories that I have currently have laid eggs 5 or 6 times but nothing ever becomes of the eggs or the eggs get eaten. Half the time I still can't tell the difference between male and female fish so that's half the battle there. Always so much more to learn.

I would agree with fatpuffer that its very rewarding to know that you have made your fish happy enough in their enviroment that they would spawn for you and also agree that it is very addicting because I really would like to get to the point where the majority of my fish would spawn for me.

My first attempt at breeding bettas was basically throwing a male and female into a tank for fun and it happened. I am now on my second betta breeding and just recently had my Bolivian rams spawn. Livebearers are of course easy and kind of boring since it doesnt involve much interaction on my part. It is very neat to see the development of fish from tiny little egg to wriggler and on.

I do think I am hooked and expect to be doing more as I have a bunch more betta arriving this weekend. I'm still not sure where I am going to house them....

I do think I am hooked and expect to be doing more as I have a bunch more betta arriving this weekend. I'm still not sure where I am going to house them....

I have space at my house if you'd like. After all, I can never have too many bettas or shoes!!

Well, if my latest prospective dad doesn't get busy soon, he may become shoes. Hmmm, don't be stepping on my blue dragon shoes has a nice ring!!

I think I might be addicted to breeding fish.

I rarely have community tanks - usually breeding tanks.

It started with live bearers when I was in high school. Then Jack Dempseys and Convicts when I was newly married.

Then we kind out got out of fish for a time while raising our kids.

Now back into it again for the last 6 years with African Cichlids.

Sometimes I will get bored with a fish but the challenge is to grow them from juveniles to spawn.