Best heater (s) for a 200gal ray tank

colby82

I have to say something about the rena smart heaters. They work great and are ideal for ray tanks buuuut, they tank about a week to get to a desired temp and they don't keep it constant. Evertime it would get to the ideal temp I would have to do a water change the day before anyways so I think they're useless.

Edited by pagani

I personally swear by the E Series Fluval Digitals. They are awesome, and come with an LCD screen for temp, color change warnings (goes red when too hot, and goes blue when too cold). and also a plastic guard around the heater itself. I have only once or twice seen the temp go further away from my set temp more than 1 degree. Awesome heaters... and you don't need a thermometer anymore!

post-4570-126703246696_thumb.jpg

just wondering about some ideas for heating my new tank.. it has a ray in it, so i would like to not burn her. i was looking at a couple or three 300w stealth heaters.. the tank doesnt have a sump, other wise that would be where it would all go. so any of you ray guys have any recommendations on heating me new tank? thanks

colby

I would go with the Fluval E300 or the Eheim Jagers. Can't go wrong with them. Check it out. Maybe go online and get some reviews or feedbacks first. They are a little pricey but I highly recommend them. I would go with 2 heaters just in case one heater fails. Have fun with your new tank

I personally swear by the E Series Fluval Digitals. They are awesome, and come with an LCD screen for temp, color change warnings (goes red when too hot, and goes blue when too cold). and also a plastic guard around the heater itself. I have only once or twice seen the temp go further away from my set temp more than 1 degree. Awesome heaters... and you don't need a thermometer anymore!

Thats the one I was talking about.

I have to say something about the rena smart heaters. They work great and are ideal for ray tanks buuuut, they tank about a week to get to a desired temp and they don't keep it constant. Evertime it would get to the ideal temp I would have to do a water change the day before anyways so I think they're useless.

Sounds like you got a dud. Mine holds exect temp from the moment it is on, flashing if out of limit. The only issue I have had is if I drain the tank and foget to unplug it, but pulling the plug and sticking it back in resets it.

Sounds like you got a dud. Mine holds exect temp from the moment it is on, flashing if out of limit. The only issue I have had is if I drain the tank and foget to unplug it, but pulling the plug and sticking it back in resets it.

That's the thing of course I unplug it everytime I do a water change. I do 50% water changes every 4 to 5 days so I have no choice but to unplug it.

That's the thing of course I unplug it everytime I do a water change. I do 50% water changes every 4 to 5 days so I have no choice but to unplug it.

I guess I am the only one who occasionally forgets to unplugthem. When I do the Rena takes about 48 hours to settle down, the Fluval either goes back to normal in about 20 inutes or locks off.

I alternate between 25% and 50% weekly water changes. It normally takes about 8-20 minutes for both to lock back at normal temp.