Best heater (s) for a 200gal ray tank

colby82

just wondering about some ideas for heating my new tank.. it has a ray in it, so i would like to not burn her. i was looking at a couple or three 300w stealth heaters.. the tank doesnt have a sump, other wise that would be where it would all go. so any of you ray guys have any recommendations on heating me new tank? thanks

colby

just wondering about some ideas for heating my new tank.. it has a ray in it, so i would like to not burn her. i was looking at a couple or three 300w stealth heaters.. the tank doesnt have a sump, other wise that would be where it would all go. so any of you ray guys have any recommendations on heating me new tank? thanks

colby

In-line heaters seem to be popular in that case so you don't have to wory about contact with the heater, since you do not have a sump.

The Hydor heaters are good and I run one myself on a Pygo N. setup. Its a well made product but the only make up to 300watt units which is good for 80 gallon by their spec. You could run 3 inline to eachother maybe?

Kyle

I would stick to the Jager. Would be stupid to install a Hydor on the canister outlet and then have a Rena on the inside of the tank too. In my case the Hydor eth is only on a 80 gallon but its the best investment Ive made for that tank. The Red bellies tend to break heaters ;)

Kyle

How do the red bellies break the heaters? Just by freaking out and running into them?

They are one of those types of fish that get a little jumpy when they dont understand or like what is going on. Mine are better now that they are very comfortable in their tank and with me, but that natural fight or flight reaction will always be there.

With my Hydor ETH, the temp is ALWAYS bang on 79 deg. Never fluctuates and I keep 2 thermometers in that tank. Ive had it for over a year with 0 issues

Kyle

i think i might stick with some of the heaters i have.. and just use a PVC pipe with holes drilled into the PVC with the heater in side, with a power head attached at the bottom to maintain good circulation... that may work..

You will see a temp drop and will see more tempature veriation if you place the heater in a PVC pipe. For example when I added the sheild to my Fluval 300w it's heat output dropped about 2c.

The Rena I have does get quite warm to the touch. The Fluval with the guard does not get that warm (and the curent ones come with the sheild).

i use ebos, boyus (from china lol) and fluvals. i stick them to a panel of the tank and use a powerhead to circulate the heat. ive got a 150gal that i use a 250w fluval on that has a constant temperature of 81. mind you, ive got a 14" motoro in there that sometimes knocks the heater off the panel.