How hard is it to Maintain Soft Water?

Raven

Been looking at cichlids again. Specifically weather or not to go with Malawians again or try SA/CA's. Though i've noticed while looking at various profiles on the cichlid-forums that SA/CAs need soft water. Edmonton has hard water, more suitable for Malawians, but i was wondering what i'd have to do for some SA/CAs. I know i'd need water softener but i've never had to use the stuff before and don't even know what it looks like or costs. So any info before getting fish like with cycling and stuff would be great!

Prehaps you have gotten lucky in that some SA/CAs do like hard water. Or so i've found in scouring the site. Or does it really even matter?

The vast majority of SA/CA cichlids will do fine in your local water.

Even Discus will do well, and breed, in moderately hard water with a pH of 8.0

The only real issue with some of the SA cichlids (Discus for one) is that the high amount of dissolved gasses in the cold water lines in the winter can cause their slime coat to peel off, if one does large water changes. With more sensitive species the best workaround is to do smaller more frequent water changes, or used aged water.

All I have ever done is run some peat moss in my filter and I usually Aquascape For Central/South American biotopes with mopani wood and plants. With that, all my fish from that region have always thrived. As for maintenance, all I ever do is 20% water change every week or two or longer, depending on stocking density with only adding a water conditioner.

I have kept and bred many SA cichlids over the years. Most were fine in Edmonton water - only some of the more delicate wild-caught specimens required adjusting. Peat or RO are the easiest methods. I'd stay away from water-softening pillows, they typically exchange Ca and/or Mg for Na, which can become a problem for plants down the road.

I buy peat plates. They can be used in filters, as substrate, or even just floating on the surface or in a sump. I like them because they are clean to use. You can use peat moss that is loose but make sure it does not use any wetting agents. I have used loose peat and just stuff it into either a media bag or a nylon sock/pantyhose.