Stocking S.A.s in a pond.

Oxquo

At first I thought a pond of Africans but the hardness would be a constant battle so I have opted for SA's. I would like to stock some heavy hitters so I need lots of hiding spots as well. Question is, would I ever see them even in a blue bottom pond that is 4.5' deep? The pond is being formed and since out here there are no depth regulations I decided to go deep. My ideal stock if I can find them all is Red terrors, dovii and jags. I will pull them in mid October unless I find a way to possibly place a shack over the entire pond and heating is an option but I can't see it. More than likely I will be building a basement pond or two beside the bug farm to Winter them. The colors these fish can put on outside is intense for sure but the problem is keeping aggression down when moved into smaller quarters. I need some tips from other cichlid pond keepers as to what to do when the Winter rolls in.

I think you would see the fish, and btw SA's would make a much better choice because they'll keep the pond cleaner we have tonnes of earthworms that crawl into the pond and before the goldfish got in it was a mess, while SA's would take care of this alot better

I have seen a lot of indoor pond pics and there wouldn't be too different you can definately see the fish and these are useing black liners, If you have a problem I think a underwatter light could fix that without to much expense

#@% man that would be so f%#^ing sweet. That is like a dream for me, personaly i would go with a pair of terrors or dovii and an umbee too, gotta have an umbee, and red devils and ooh the possibilities :drool:

umbee

festae

jaguar

mota

dovii

odo

freddy

devils

midas

stingrays

so many possbilitis. how big are you looking at?

oh and now for pond stuff. go with the black liner, a substrate wuold be nice but my parents found the substrate murdered the pump and we haveto (havent thuoght of anything yet) worry about hawks and catsgetting the fish but with ca cichlids especialy dovii i would be worriedd the other way :rolleyes:

hey if it isnt sold you should snag ruddy's dovii he is amazing and big.

I can't remember the forum, but awhile ago a kid posted some picks of him snorkeling w/ his Guapotes in a 10' blow-up pool.

Boy did he take a beating from everyone for doing that. He had just had a shower!*Shampoo and soap residue*

I can't remember the forum, but awhile ago a kid posted some picks of him snorkeling w/ his Guapotes in a 10' blow-up pool.

Boy did he take a beating from everyone for doing that. He had just had a shower!*Shampoo and soap residue*

Net soak boy right?

Peacockbass. I think that was pfish.