Fish compatible with Angels

BleedingHeart

just to cycle id say feeder fish

I wouldn't use feeder fish, too many diseases.

Sorry i can't really help in the fish selection as i've never really cycled a tank with fish. I believe zebra danios are good for cycling and i used to have some in with my anglefish. Plus they are really cheap.

A book I read says to cycle the tank with swords he recommended reds or velvet reds then add your angels. He goes on to say that the swords will later provide lots of fry for the Angels. IMO I would not use cardinal tetras for cycling but you could for compatibility. I found them along with Neons are to susceptable to ammonia. You could also cycle with convicts. They are 99 cents at Chums and if you could find someone to take them off your hands when you don't need them anymore it's great.

Edited by HOSStile

I have kept zebra danios with angels and have used them before to cycle the tank! I would recommend that for sure!

if i can make a suggestion once your tank is cycled. Keep a bunch of guppies with your angels. The reason is they will breed like rabbits and release lots of fry in the tank. When i had a bunch of angels, they loved it! fresh food! I have never once seen any survivers of the guppy fry. Keep 1 or 2 males to a bunch of females. This will also add some color to your tank.

it doesn't have to be guppies, but any live barers like swords or plattys. just make sure you keep a good ratio of males to females.

I have kept neons, tetras(head and lamp and red eye), corey cats, pleco's, golden algae eaters, as well as a red tail shark.

i have in my tank right now one large marble angel and the only fish that bothers him are the 2 gourami's... They seem to not like each other, but they seem to be doing fine as in they have never nipped each other fins. They seem to only bother each other when it comes to feeding time.

A fish not too keep are barbs, such as tiger barbs. they are known for nipping fins. That can present a problem for your angels.

this is just IMO and from past experiences. Right now i only have one angel and she is doing great!

Hope it helps!

nevchewy

I just take some water from one of my other tanks and add that to the treated water that I put in the new tank. I take a filter sponge from one of my active tanks. The filter sponge has the bio cycle in it already so the filter is ready to go once the sponge is added. So far it has worked for me. I don't lose the biocycle in the active tank as I have filter pads on all the intakes of my power filters. For the rest of the tanks I use 2 air driven outside filters for every tank over 6.4 gallons so the biocycle is still there.

• 2 weeks later...
just take some water from one of my other tanks and add that to the treated water that I put in the new tank. I take a filter sponge from one of my active tanks. The filter sponge has the bio cycle in it already so the filter is ready to go once the sponge is added. So far it has worked for me. I don't lose the biocycle in the active tank as I have filter pads on all the intakes of my power filters. For the rest of the tanks I use 2 air driven outside filters for every tank over 6.4 gallons so the biocycle is still there

That works fine if you have other tanks, but if you are cycling a new tank without any other tanks is the house, It does not work.

How big is the tank to start with??

I would add a group (5-6 swordtails) OR tiger barbs, I am pretty sure both would be compatible with the angles!!!!