Aquarium salt

Jayba

I have been told several things in regards to the truth about salt. I am keeping african cichlids from Malawi. I do have a refracometer (although I don't think I can spell it), so I can get an accurate reading. Just don't know how much to put in, and the X tablespoons per gallon thing is not real accurate when you loose count 'cause the kids are helping with water changes or the fact that I am easily distracted buy shiny things.04.gif

I have been doing 1.005 to 1.01. Is this in line or out? And using marine salt so there are minerals etc in there. Not to mention WAY cheaper.

I live in Red Deer here the water is hard like most of Alberta

Edited by Jayba

have been told to on several occasions, when I had a disease outbreak. I beleive that it is seachem that makes specific african cichlid salts as well as other brands. Just need to have a way to guage where I am at for concentration 'cause I seem to have lost track, so I am unsure if I am too low or worse too high.

You shouldn't be adding regular salt to the tank all the time, only when treating for diseases.

If you are talking about "rift lake salt" mixes you can buy to buffer your water, you dont' really need to add that either unless you have really soft water. Edmonton and Calgary tap is just fine for africans. So unless you are using really soft water then dont' bother messing with your chemistry.

Jayba - there is no need to add anything beyond water conditioner, to Red Deer city water.

While no ones tap water is probably "perfect" for African Cichlids, some of us are lucky enough to have water that's close enough to perfection.

I add nothing but chloramine remover to Red Deer tap water.

If I was to attemp' to tweak my local tap water to get the exact same parameters as Lake Malawi I would need to do the following:

1. Raise the PH slightly

2. Lower the overall alkalinity

3. Lower the hardness

4. Lower the conductivity

5. Lower the Calcium

5. Lower the Carbonates

6. Raise the Chloride

7. Lower the Magnesium

8. Raise the Potassium

10. Raise the Sodium

11. Lower the Sulfate

And perhaps the most important thing ........

12. Keep my nitrates at 0.