water like tea..is this because of the driftwood or something else?

I've my 6 gallon tank set up 5 weeks ago. I notice that the water (color) tends to brown like tea after couple days. I thought the color will be better if I do the water change frequently. However, after 5 weeks..the color still like tea..and most of the plants are now covered by a dusty brown looks. Are these cause by the driftwood ..or algae?

I've tried to clean the plant by scrubbing it (gently)...it doesn't work. the 'dust' still there.

Just for information, before I put the wood in the tank, i've boiled it twice and also left it in a separate water container for 2 nights.

I like my driftwood..and still want to keep it in the tank.

Anyone has the same problem like mine?

driftwood can take a very very very long time to stop changing the water color; even when you boil the heck outta it. Keeping up on your water changes is good, but you can expect that your water will always have a tinge of brown/yellow to it due to the driftwood for quite awhile. If you really don't like it, you can always take the driftwood out. One very small piece of driftwood caused my 10 gallon to be yellowy brown for a whole year! It's good now, but took awhile!

Adding some carbon to your filter will help keep the water clear, but make sure you replace it after a few weeks. The brown on the leaves could be diatoms.

driftwood can take a very very very long time to stop changing the water color; even when you boil the heck outta it. Keeping up on your water changes is good, but you can expect that your water will always have a tinge of brown/yellow to it due to the driftwood for quite awhile. If you really don't like it, you can always take the driftwood out. One very small piece of driftwood caused my 10 gallon to be yellowy brown for a whole year! It's good now, but took awhile!

one year?? oh wow!! but that's good to know..at least I know what to expect.

Taking out the driftwood probably the last option cause I do like the wood.

Water color I can understand, but I've never heard of tannins making the plants brown. That's why I said diatoms. Otherwise yes, driftwood would easily make the water tea color for a long time to come.

Diatom? I don;t know this. Thank you cause it'll lead me to find more information about diatom.

I was trying to take a close up picture of the plant..but it's blurry. so for now, I'll take the diatom as a starting point of my investigation :)

diatoms are a common thing with new tanks. it will take time but they will go away. if the diatoms seem quite thick on the plant leaves you can rub as much of it off as possible with your fingers so that the plants still get the light they need. this may sound dumb, but they are real plants right? not plastic?

• 3 weeks later...

You can reduce this time - I have found - by changing % 100 of the water three times a day. Worked like a charm !!

There is only one catch -

• The wood must be small enough to fit in the back of the toilette tank !!

You can reduce this time - I have found - by changing % 100 of the water three times a day. Worked like a charm !!

There is only one catch -

• The wood must be small enough to fit in the back of the toilette tank !!

lmao!!!!!