oscar short of breath??

Koffy

I'm not quite sure what's wrong? My water is fine everything checks out, but my oscar still seems to be short of breath?? I'm not sure how else to describe it? He hasn't been moving around as much and has developed a twitch? Every 30 min or so his whole body shimmers then he's good?? And he's laying on his side, but I know that's just an oscar.

Any info or ideas would be great. Ill be doing another 25% water change tonight aswell

if your oscar's usual behaviour doesn't include laying on his side then i would definitely say something is wrong.

what is your filtration on the tank and what size tank is it? is your normal water change schedule only 25%? and how often?

on my oscar's tank i do a minimum 60% change at least every 10 days, sometimes more often, and that keeps things fairly clean and very healthy for the fish. always overfilter with an oscar (for example, i have a rena xp2 and an xp4 running on my tank).

"my water is fine" isn't very specific. i'd be doing an ammonia test on your tank, using the API liquid test, just to make sure these symptoms are not ammonia poisoning. any reading over 0.25 and i'd be doing a big water change right away.

I have a Tiger Oscar and noticed one day he was exhibiting the same behavour as you describe. After an exhaustive search trying to figure it out, found out that my heater was not working properly and was over heating the tank. Replaced the heater, and it cured the issue. Also could be your lights giving off too much heat.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I've been keeping an eye one temp (had that happen to me but on the cold side). It was my wife that had noticed the behavior. I personally haven't seen him do anything out of the norm. That's why I asked what else could be up? I'm starting to think that he just doesn't like her? He seems absolutely fine to me?? I've sat In front of his tank for hours. Is it possible for fish not liking people? I know he gets a lot more excited when my little girl comes and sits with me?