Planted tank problems

d0hb0y

I posted a few weeks ago about my problem with my 10G pea puffer tank. The problem has not gone away. Here is some info on my tank.

10G tank

2 pea puffers

5 Cherry Shrimp (I think they're still around :tongue: )

I have plants throughout my tank, Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Guppy Grass, Vals (Dunno which species, it has black strips on the leaves)

A big piece of malaysian drift wood

Ammonia = 0

pH = 7.8

nitrIte = 0

nitrAte = 0 - 5ppm

Lighting = Compact Flourescents 20watts (says it equals 100 watts)x 2 at 1300 lumens

The tank is located in my dining room and has no direct sunlight

Lights are on for no more than 12 hours a day

Substrate is black flourite mixed with small (5mm) gravel

I use an API freshwater test kit for monitoring my water stats

I've had algae problems every since I added the wood and plants (started with Java fern and anubias). After reading some forums and with recommendations from people and the net, I added some Flourish Excel (0.85ml) every 3 days to start. Brown stuff started to appear (Diatoms i think), then i started to see black brush algae on the leaves of my java fern and anubias. I removed the leaves of the infect plants and there has been no trace of the black brush algae. I also noticed a small BGA patch, i removed it and it did not come back. I changed the lighting time to 8 - 10 hours instead of 12 hours. I've also minimized the amount of mysis shrimp I feed the puffers, I feed them everyday small amounts and skip feedings on sunday. I also stopped adding Excel.

I upgraded the light bulbs to what is currently listed now and with the recommendations from some of the members of this site, I got some more plants (vals and guppy grass). I did a thorough gravel vac, cleaned as much algae off the fake plants and real plants by hand and planted the Vals and added the guppy grass a few days later. Everything seemed good for about a day or so. About 2 days ago I started to notice what appears to be staghorn or hair/fuzz algae on my plants and driftwood. Today when I got home all the plants are covered with this stuff, it's on the tank walls and covering the driftwood. I've tried using the toothbrush method to remove as much as I could but it keeps coming back. I just noticed there's another patch of BGA.

I'm frustrated and lost. I've done quite a bit of research and am even more confused now. If any of the more experienced planted tank aquarists out there can help me out, i'd really appreciate it.

What tools or chemical kits do you guys use to test your water content? I've read about iron on phosphate test kits but am having a difficult time locating these things at your big LFS chains. I work odd hours so getting to Natures Corner store is really difficult.

The more I think about it, I recall the diatoms started to appear when I added the driftwood in the beginning. I added plants to try to "out compete" the diatoms but then everything else happened and i've been struggling with this ever since. I'm considering throwing away the driftwood (I bought this at a LFS) because I read it could be leaching unnecessary elements into the water.

Any advice/tips/tricks would greatly be appreciated.

PS: Puffers seem to be fine, they are having the time of their life... shrimp however... I haven't seen them for 2 days LOL

I'm going to use some advice from my good friend "Fleshgear" and say "why don't you take out a light bulb?". Sounds like you've got way too much light for the plants in there as almost all of the plants in there are low light. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

With that much light I would add CO2 or Excel, perhaps you have to much light without CO2 that can cause Staghorn Algae! My advice, and I am not an expert, but I would add CO2 or take out one of the bulbs, or cover half the light with something to reduce your light level. Also small frequent water changes. They always help.

Poolboy

When plants are properly fed, they will outcompete algae. The most important nutrient they need is Carbon, so adding Excel is a good idea. You are probably deficient in other nutrients as well. If you want to keep that amount of light, you'll want to get a few more plants and start adding some fertilizer - you'll need a source of N, P, K and trace minerals.

You had mentioned that you think the problems occurred after adding the driftwood and various plants. Did you pick these up from someone?

Don't purchase the phosphate and iron test kit.

What are you fertilizing your tank with right now and how often? How often do you perform tank maintenance and how much water do you remove?

Is it staghorn algae? Can you pull it off or does it just break?

I got the driftwood from a PJs (It was shrink wrapped so I don't think it could have been contaminated) and the plants from Natures Corner Store. At Natures Corner Store the plants looked great with no algae in the tank.

Thanks for the tip on the phosphate and iron test kit :)

After speaking with some people on the puffer forums, they said I didn't need ferts so I haven't been using any. Only thing I used was Excel (0.85ml every 2 days) and after 2 weeks I had an algae outbreak like the one i described in my original post. So I stopped using it, changed lights and everything was fine for a bit and then it came back. Some people (on the net and RL) told me to upgrade the lighting again and I did, and the algae is back and now i'm in the same situation as before.

I do a water change of 60 - 75% a week, I use seachem prime and stability sometimes. I do a full gravel vac and I also remove the algae by hand.

I dunno if it's staghorn algae, i'm just going off the descriptions off some of the sites listed here for algae identification. It does not break off, I have to pull it off by hand (or use a toothbrush).

When plants are properly fed, they will outcompete algae. The most important nutrient they need is Carbon, so adding Excel is a good idea. You are probably deficient in other nutrients as well. If you want to keep that amount of light, you'll want to get a few more plants and start adding some fertilizer - you'll need a source of N, P, K and trace minerals.

I changed the lights back to a lower wattage, the new lights in the tank are those Compact fluorescent bulbs 13watts (says it's equal to 60 watts) x 2, at 900 lumens. With such a small tank do you think it's ok if I buy other liquid ferts? Anyone have any experience with the other seachem liquid ferts? Is there a different brand you'd recommend?

Once my employment situation stabilizes i'll go and buy more plants, i've always wanted a fully planted tank and I thought I could do it with the pea puffers. I'm thinking of getting more vals, swords, more anubias and maybe more java ferns. I'd like to get some java moss but i've had terrible luck with it so far.

Thanks for all the help so far, i'm going to be scrubbing and cleaning as much algae off as I can tonight and doing a big water change and gravel vac.

Anyone else have any further suggestions? Thank you so much for all the help so far, this forum has been a great source of info!

One other suggestion; seeing you'd mentioned you'd had issues with java moss. Rumour has it Excel is not good for "simpler" plants like mosses and possibly vals??? I run a tank with similiar plants to yours, anubias, java ferns, vals and crypts and use no CO2 on it. It does get the ferts that the other tanks get though. It is meant to be a low-light tank as the fish are "low light" too. The growth is steady and there's no algae!!

Thanks for all the advice so far, i REALLY appreciate it.

I did a big big big water change this last weekend (almost 90%), scrubbed the tank walls and all the plants. I got rid of all the fake plants and ornaments, now it's 100% all natural. There are still little strands of "hair" on the Vals, I also pruned the anubias and broke off some of the rhizome (I think) and attached them to other areas the driftwood in hopes of more growth. Java fern isn't doing much, still sitting there trying to look pretty. It's only been 2 days and so far there's been very little algae growth.

Hopefully this weekend i'll be able to pick up a bottle of flourish and i'll give what Kronosdelsol mentioned. I've looked at some of the "plant health indicator" webpages i've found here and i you guys are right, I don't have enough nutrients in the tank.

Thanks again for all the help.