Stocking my 70 gallon tank

FishieRuffio

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you keep looking for pool filter sand. The play sand you get at home depot is pretty fine and i dont' think would mix very well with cichlids as they are constantly digging. PLus the Play sand is a pain to clean. Took me forever to clean enough for my 15g. I couldn't imagine how long it would take to clean enough for a 70g.

I"d say look in the phone book under hot tubs/swimming pools and call every place listed. Someone will eventually know what you are talking about :D

Keep rinsing it till the water runs clear!!!

Are you really going to put that much sand in you tank????

I use barely enough sand to cover the bottom of the tank, a thin layer so the glass does not show. This makes it a lot easier when it comes to water changes!!!!!

Well, I was thinking that I'd need to put eggshell crate on the bottom of the tank, to distribute the weight of the rocks more evenly. Then I'd need to cover that up, as well as giving the little guys some room to dig without hitting the crate (since that would, understandably, stress them out). Am I overestimating the amount I'll need?

:boom:

I would agree... 50lbs should be perfect! you can always add more if needed.

I have 60 pounds of gravel in my 90 gallon tank and they have plenty of room to dig (its quite funny the caves they create under rocks!)

Hope you'll post some pics to show your progress!!!

nevchewy

The more you rinse the sand before you put it in the less it will cloud the tank. Some people suggest using a pillow case to rinse the sand out in but that way didn't work for me. I found it fastest to us a 5g bucket and fill it about 1/3 full with sand then fill, stir it around and pour off the dirty water. Keep doing that untill it runs clean, then do it a couple more times for good measure.

Wow - I need to post a picture soon! All my little guys are in there - they're just under an inch each (little ones!) and I have:

9 perlmutts

8 aceis

8 red zebras

8 fire fins

2 syno petricolas

Once they grow out, I know I'll have to move a bunch of them...so keep that in mind, people with extra future tank space. :hey:

I've got 100lbs of pool filter sand and 160lbs of limestone providing the aquascaping, along with some thoroughly unchewable plastic plants (I've seen what they do to silk ones!)

Running an AquaClear 300 (and a would-be Fluval 403, if it wasn't for it being busted - gonna get a canister in there soon!) and an Ebo 250W.

It looks grrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!

Seems like you are going to have a beautiful tank. Hope we get to see pics. I"d definately recommend more petricolas also. I have 7 and just love them. I was actaully tempted to pick up more at the auction but had to restrain myself :) THey are quite active when you have a group of them. Mine are always out and about.