back up or safety filter or at least air source ?

Bluecan

Hey guys, I was just looking for info or ideas for having some type of safety device in aquariums should you lose power and of course the filtration and air with it. I work 12 hour shifts and now that im getting into some more expensive fish I just want to know if there are any options? I know some of you have these aro's and ray's and such that range in the several thousands so I would imagine there is some type of safety device or system put in place if at all possible?

You could use a UPS with battery backup. It is what IT guys use for our servers in case of a power outage. Depending on how much current you are drawing, and the UPS for how long it can last on the battery backup. If you would like, I could get you a price from Dell on one, I get very good pricing from them.

You can get some cheap generators for under $500. I have a more expensive one I use for camping that I could use to power all my tanks, fridge,freezer, tv and a few lights if neadby BBQ, campstove, fireplace I'm ready for long power outage.

I read of someguys use paint stirrers and coathangers on cordless drills to oxgenate the water in a long power outage

What about canadian tires battery backup packs they advertise?? I would think those might be your cheapest and safest bet. Just have a good air pump attatched to it. I wish you could find a filter that has 2 modes available and switches it's speed and power level when on battery backup.

Good luck

L

The battery backups don't last quite as long as you would think. It'll give you a few hours on an air pump. I have access to a backup generator. For the $300 or so bux it's well worth it.

Good Post!!

Hey Pagani, what brand is your air pump, I was about to buy one from BA's the one that takes 2 D cell, but the sales guys sale they are not worth it. He also suggested UPS. From my experience the UPS batteries have to be replaced about every 20 months. Now you guys with the generators, don't you have to be at home to switch them on and are they not fueled by gasoline?

Good Post!!

Hey Pagani, what brand is your air pump, I was about to buy one from BA's the one that takes 2 D cell, but the sales guys sale they are not worth it. He also suggested UPS. From my experience the UPS batteries have to be replaced about every 20 months. Now you guys with the generators, don't you have to be at home to switch them on and are they not fueled by gasoline?

I just went to look for it but I couldn't find it. I bought it at golds to use to bring my arowana up to edmonton.

A few hours is better than nothing and mosre than likely you'd hear about the outtage and have enough time to get home to do damage control not to mention that power companies RARELY EVER have outages that last more than an hour here in edmonton. The first and last one I've ever experinced was the one last summer that lasted at least 15 hours. Just something to think about.

L