GloFish

Baos

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We talked about Glofish at one of the ACE meetings. Someone brought in a bag of them so we could see what they looked like. It was interesting to see them in person but not really my cup of tea. I prefer regular looking fish.

When breeding the glofish a certain % look like regular zerba danios, not colored. So its kind of scary since you can't tell a glofish zebra danio, from a regular non altered zebra danio. Its only a matter of time for the glofish gene to get mixed in to all zebra danios.

I read somewhere that these glofish are banned in canada not sure if this was true or not.

I find them quite beautiful when in pairs..I mean saying the zebra danio is pretty but not the most beautiful.

for a dollar more you could get something a little more pretty you know?

I don't mind either..I mean I know its cruel and that the chances of casualties are high.

They look quite fasinating..Also every single fish isn't injected most are born like that aside from the

gene altered parents.

I'm 50 for 50 on original and glowy..Tattoed? no.

I don't mind either..I mean I know its cruel and that the chances of casualties are high.

They look quite fasinating..

How is it cruel? The fish aren't hurt in the process, they are born with the color and pass the gene down to their babies. Its not like dyed or tattooed fish where the fish is stressed by the process. I dont' think its cruel but it is kind of weird in a freaky science way.

They look quite fasinating..Also every single fish isn't injected most are born like that aside from the

gene altered parents. ---

I stated that soon after I said that sentence..I'm just going off what I've heard and read

since personally I've never owned any..few owners said they die after some time..

Not too sure though I'm no scientist on them I wouldn't mind keeping a few as an experience.

I wish I could be injected with a glowing gene..Just saying :P

Edited by AnthemOfDeath

The Zebra Danio is a pretty interesting specimen. It's entire genome has been mapped - one of the most important species in genetics. I'd put these guys in the same category as blood parrots and bubble chests - neat and gimmicky, but not my bag-o-fish. :)