Gold Aquarium

Hi

I was not sure where to put this...but I wanted to ask if anyone has ever had problems with fish purchased at gold Aquariums in Calgary....I bought two fish from there....and I know I should have had a quaranteen tank...but I didn't at the time....both have ICH....one had a film over his eyes and eye bulging...I lost him after only having him for 3 weeks...The other one I am fighting to save but it doesn't look good...he just keeps getting worse....I am going to try the salt bath...been using chemical and it doesn't seem to be working...I am just wondering if anyone else has had problems? They are 2 for 2 with me and I have now dropped over $70 dollars at their store with "hopefully" 1 fish to show for it? Maybe this is isolated....They seem to have such nice fish and have been recommended...so I am surprised.angry.gif

I went there for the first time last month I think it was, the fish were all looking fine and the ones that were not for sale and quarenteened looked fine too. I bought a pair of nice sized loaches from them, kept them in the bag the whole way home and they're the most active clowns I've ever had. I liked gold for the most part, I'm not into the fish they mostly sold so I didn't buy much but I would for sure recomend them to anyone.

I have been selling to Dennis since before he opened up Gold's and buying from Gold's ever since he opened. He has always been very meticulous with regards to not selling unhealthy fish and I have had excellent results buying fish from him. All retail stores have to deal with the surprises that come with importing fish from all over the world and they all deal with the surprises in the best way they know how. The only time I have quams about buying fish is if the fish I'm interested in are not looking good. Otherwise quarantining is the only safety measure left to guard against unknown assailants. Even that is no guarantee.

I am always impressed with Golds live stock. The selection is amazing and I never see a unhealthy fish. They do a good job QT there fish. I never have to worry about quarantine a fish from them. I can toss the fish in my tank and not have to worry about anything. I was just at Golds today as a matter of fact, picked up a nice jag :)

Went to gold's to stock my tank, had heard good things I bought 24 fish from Dennis, Copadichromis Azereus and German Red's exactly the same thing cloudy eye, flashing, bulging eyes. Did water changes like a mad man, lost most of them, showed kind of like velvet. Tried a million things. Never figured out what it was. Gill flukes? Velvet? Were the first fish in my cycled tank. It never did a mini cycle, ammonia etc stayed at zero. Almost $300.00 worth down the toilet. Called and spoke to Dennis, kind of got the impression he knew what was going on, also the language barrier didn't help either. A little hard to just stop in when I live in red Deer. Who knows....will never give them my cash again and will advise anyone who cares to listen not too. Just my 2 annoyed.gif cents

Went to gold's to stock my tank, had heard good things I bought 24 fish from Dennis, Copadichromis Azereus and German Red's exactly the same thing cloudy eye, flashing, bulging eyes. Did water changes like a mad man, lost most of them, showed kind of like velvet. Tried a million things. Never figured out what it was. Gill flukes? Velvet? Were the first fish in my cycled tank. It never did a mini cycle, ammonia etc stayed at zero. Almost $300.00 worth down the toilet. Called and spoke to Dennis, kind of got the impression he knew what was going on, also the language barrier didn't help either. A little hard to just stop in when I live in red Deer. Who knows....will never give them my cash again and will advise anyone who cares to listen not too. Just my 2 annoyed.gif cents

The problem was probably putting 24 fish into a new tank. Never a good thing!

I have been going to Gold's for 20yrs and have bought hundreds of fish and never had problems but I don't buy the tiny fish either! I buy mostly predators,large fish and aggressive cichlids and most part Dennis will replace the fish if it's in the first week and if you can prove you know what you are doing. I know he treats all his fish in his tanks as new ones are always quarantined for a week or so and he won't sell them to you until they are ready. Just check it out when he gets in new Discus! I have only had two problems in 20yrs and that was two Frontosa's packed in the same bag and one of them beat on the other one and it died but Dennis gave me another one. The other problem was a Black Arowana developed a bent spine from either physical damage or bad genetics and Dennis gave me a discount on a new one. Not his fault but still came through for me. But when you have been a loyal customer for 20yrs it tends to have it's perks!! Just my 2 cents!!!!

Golds is the store i have compared all others to in the last 20 years. No stores in Calgary stacks up to how clean and healthy Golds is. Did you take your fish back to Dennis to see what he said? He probably would of replaced them also some fish do not show signs of disease until the stress of being transferred around in a plastic bag for a while.