What would be good lighting for a 75 Gal Tank?

Danno1986

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have a friend that grows some pretty lush plants on a 90gal w. those lights. I grew just about anything I wanted on a 90gal. w. 2 T12 twin bulb fixtures. Just make sure you replace the bulbs every 8-12 months.

I agree. I had pretty good growth on my 90 gallon (24" tall) on those lights as well. If you buy the daylights that are not boxed up, they are only $3 each.

If you can pick up a T5 fixture, even better. A 3 x T5 fixture will leave you satisfied in the long run. Although the costs are higher to start. Give your local electrical wholesaler a call. I'm sure you can get a T5 fixture with bulbs for only $80 - $90 (double strip in the same design as those shop lights that is).

Really depends what type of plants your going to go. you are not going to want too much light if you are planning more ore less low to med light plants. Also the more light you get the more of a change you will experience alot of algae problem. Thirdly if you go over 2wpg (watts per gallon) you will have to think a co2 system.

Fertz - light - co2

What are you thought on plants, do you want a high light tank which is alot of upkeep or lower light tank which produces still great looking plants, but easier to maintain.

Co2 is your best friend when it comes to a planted tank, people really underestimate co2 because everyone thinks lighting is the key.

i'd suggest a happy medium or around 2wpg for you = 160 watts, around that. Having the ability to suspend them from the ceiling and be able to figure out the right height of the lights is good to have as well

Edited by Nicklfire

Well I have started C02, it is just a couple of bubble ladders, and 2 bottles. I live in a basement suit so there is very little natural light. I am not sure if that is enough CO2 or not, but it does change my PH a little. I am currently running a double T12 fixture, and no algae. As for plants, I have hornwort and valesinaria, and some swords. The swords are doing terrible, the Val, is just staying constant not really growing and the Hornwort is growing very well.