Heater Malfunction

timbruun

So I just checked my temp in my piranha tank since they were acting really different and found it at about 98 degrees. So I've unplugged the heaters for now will find out which one is malfunctioning later but is there a best way to cool the water down again? And what other problems might come up from this?

I've already tossed a couple ice packs in a ziploc back in the water.

i'd be doing partial water changes with new water a couple degrees cooler than the tank water, and do the changes throughout the day so that the decrease is gradual. you don't want to bring the temp down too quickly as that could stress the fish.

Marineland Stealth. Pretty sure they're usually pretty good. My only complaint so far other than the overheat now is that it has nothing telling you that it's heating. The new pro series does though so I might just switch to that.

If you've just done your WCs, and your room isn't in the 90s, you could just let the water cool down. That would be the most gradual and least stressful, IMO.

So far so good. I'm amazed since really if you think about it, most new hot tubs will only go up to 104 and the tank was at 98. Although I'm sure they didn't enjoy it like I enjoy the hot tub.

Edited by timbruun

Have you seen the new Fluval's with the temperature reading right on the heater....they are a little pricey vs regular heaters but no need for a thermometer. I bought on boxing Day for $56 but just got another on E-Bay for $36. They are 300 watts. I think the brochure said they are preset to 77 C but that can be adjusted if needed.

If you've just done your WCs, and your room isn't in the 90s, you could just let the water cool down. That would be the most gradual and least stressful, IMO.

I second this opinion. I still consider it to be too fast though.

Im always scared that one of my 50 watt heaters will fail and wipe out one of my shellie colonies. I hear 50 watts burn out alot. I just kinda buy a few new ones every 12 to 18 months. Im glad your fish are recovering.