Media Suggestions for Fluval FX5

FishyFishy!

I got my 250 Gallon, and along with it got two new Fluval FX5 filters. I've been searching on the net for Media suggestions/placement, and have really come up with little to no definitive answers. I also just picked up a new FX5 for my 120 gallon, so I'm in a hurry to get these things cycling.

On monster fish keepers, they have a thread on it, but it ends up being very contridictory in the end. They start off by saying to use "dish scrubbies" (those plastic woven dish scrubbers), which i'm sure are great for an aquariest on a budget, but Bio max should be a lot better.

I'm thinking something along the lines of bio max in the bottom two trays, and in the third, a small layer of pre-filter rings, and then the blue polishing pad at the top. (I heard the white fine polishing pads for the FX5 are crap and require a lot of maintenance due to clogging).

What does everyone run in theirs? Any suggestions??

Thanks

FishyFishy!

Edited by FishyFishy!

I got my 250 Gallon, and along with it got two new Fluval FX5 filters. I've been searching on the net for Media suggestions/placement, and have really come up with little to no definitive answers. I also just picked up a new FX5 for my 120 gallon, so I'm in a hurry to get these things cycling.

On monster fish keepers, they have a thread on it, but it ends up being very contridictory in the end. They start off by saying to use "dish scrubbies" (those plastic woven dish scrubbers), which i'm sure are great for an aquariest on a budget, but Bio max should be a lot better.

I'm thinking something along the lines of bio max in the bottom two trays, and in the third, a small layer of pre-filter rings, and then the blue polishing pad at the top. (I heard the white fine polishing pads for the FX5 are crap and require a lot of maintenance due to clogging).

Thanks

FishyFishy!

In my FX5, I put the prefilter rings at the bottom tray with the Fluval fine filter pad on top of the rings. On the top two trays I put the Biomax media. I clean the filter every 2 to 3 months depending on how dirty it gets as I also use the Eheim Pro II in my 180. Seems to work great.

The Fluval water polishing pad is for removing really fine particles and it is recommeded that u should replace it after a week of use.

Thanks

FishyFishy!

I ended up doing BioMax in all three trays with the blue polishing pad in the bottom tray. Seems to be working awesome! I love these filters.. You can't even tell its on!