To jet or not to jet?

KimW

I have a 60G Malawi tank, and am wondering if it is worth my while to add a powerhead to it for some additional water movement. I currently have a hob filter (am looking into a cannister filter) and am running two air stones. My sister had mentioned i should look into getting a jet/powerhead just to move the water around a little more and I figured I would ask the opinion of the folks here.

So? What do ya think? ( and if i should be using one what's a fairly inexpensive one to use for the size of tank i have)

I use powerheads i(Hydor) n a few of my tanks to help with water circulation in the 'dead spots' spots that the normal flow doesn't reach. Just helps to keep my sand cleaner and require much less vacuuming of built-up waste on my part.

As far as the fish requiring it, I don't recall there being anything in the way of currents when I dove it where most fish are found that would need to be replicated in captivity.

I've been using the sunsun ones off e-bay. Though you can check with source aquatics. Very inexpensive and still working great. Sometimes I wrap them in a filter mesh for extra filter capacity.

• 3 weeks later...