low alk and ph fish stressed

shaune

Without knowing all the details Edmonton generally has very high alk and ph of 7.8. So what are you doing to the water? You could mix in some baking soda(slowly). Do a water change to add edmonton tap water back in. You could add crushed coral to your filter. Don't ph shock the fish trying to do it too fast though. A list of chemicals you use with your tank could help us figure out your problem. There is one chemical on the market that gives you a false alk reading after using it and appears to be gone.

What have you been doing differently lately? Is there CO2 being put into the tank? Could you give a few more details, like what has been happening to lead up to this? Just a bit of background please.

well i havent done anything different and havent put any chemicals in at all.

i do water changes every week i have 2 fluval fx5s running my 265gallon so thats lots of filtration.

my water stinks does that do anything?

Personally I'd do a number of waterchanges 10 percent daily if possible and no more than 20 to be sure you don't shock your fish. In regards to the smell in the tank you definately DON"T want to ignore it. Generally tanks don't smell bad. Rotten egg smell is from the decomposition of waste in an oxygen deprived environment aka under sand and decorations. IF THat is the problem BE CAREFUL I don't know for sure but i think i heard once or twice that the gasses can kill fish??? Not sure but best to ask someone with experience in this area.(I have snails to stirr the sand) if you don't have some in allready then pick up some crushed coral to add to your filter(great bio media) or mix it in with the substrate. Dead rock for saltwater tanks works and is pretty much the same thing only bigger. It provides a great buffer for PH.

If you are useing strips then take a sample into the LFS to be sure your strips aren't the problem.

Good luck

L

Hi Shaune

What is the PH ? What is the alkalinity level and how did you measure it?

The smell could come from a dirty or partially clogged filter or some area of the substrate; also the substrate could have some pockets of gas in it.

Also measure the nitrAtes they can get high without noticing even in the big tank that you have.....there are a lot of fish in it.

Hope this helps

BTW how are the kids? thumbup.gif

Greetings

John

If it smells (like a swamp or rotten eggs) then you need to 1) start water changes - I would suggest 25% followed by 50% the next day and the day after that 2) clean your filter pads (in tank water) and 3) deep vacuum/siphon your gravel.