Can you have too big of a skimmer?

I am curious if you can have too big a skimmer... I have a 29G tank right now, but plan on something much larger in a year or two... I would like to buy an oversized skimmer so I only have to make the purchase once, good idea?

The only way it'd be too big is if you had too much flow. If you can run a bigger skimmer with a small pump/powerhead that won't blow your corals off their rock, then go for it.

This one is from a guy on CanReef a Coralife Super skimmer 225. I was probley going to direct the flow right at the back side of my tank so nitrates don't build up behind/below my live rock...

How much flow comes out of the outlet? If its too much I may design a different outlet to divide the flow into 2 or more nozzles.

Edited by Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

If you only want to make one purchase then stay away from the Coralife super skimmers. Pay a few more dollars and buy something that works properly and won't flood your floors. You don't even need to run a skimmer on a 29gal tank if you keep up on your water changes.

Well I went with a Red Sea Prism... Mainly because my tank is so close to my wall. I have so many corals in my tank I have to run a skimmer, there is a huge bioload and my Goniopora are very picky about water conditions. They tell me when a water change is needed :)

• 2 months later...

I had the same size tank and has a Lee's air driven skimmer that hung on the inside that worked well when the wooden air block was not plugged. I all ways thought that the bigger skimmers were better in sump use now I know you can do some elaborate plumbing to incorporate larger skimmers.

• 11 months later...