Swim Bladder Disease

Gman44

Hello,

A couple of my Fancy Goldfish(Ranchu's) have Swim Bladder issues. They either float or lay suspended nose down tale up almost vertical in the aquarium.

They can pretty much still get around & feed regularly when they need to...

I did a little research on this & popular treatment is to feed them cooked peas with out the skin? I haven't tried it yet...has anyone attempted this?

Also open to other suggestions for treatment?

Thanks.

Feeding cooked peas can help if it's a simple case of constipation, as can adding Magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt)to your tank water - but if it's caused by bacteria, or a virus, then you will need to medicate. Also, avoid feeding flakes/pellets that have a high carb content, as poorly digestible carbs/grains can lead to blockage in fancy goldfish strains, which in turn causes float/bloat/swim bladder disorders, such as what you have described.

Also, no need to pre-soak pellets as commonly suggested on various websites, unless you feed pellets that have overall poor digestibility. (which in turn leads to gastrointestinal issues)

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

I'm convinced that staple food choice made the biggest difference for my fancies. They did best when I could still source Goldfish Connection ProGold pellets. My biggest scare was after an unintentional bit of overfeeding (involving children "helping"), where a Ryukin managed to be a glutton while I was cleaning the mess. He literally spent that night gasping, lying completely upside down on the bottom. I thought for sure he was dying. Back to normal in the morning.

Goldfish are all intestines. The fancy ones are all intestines run a mess do to their distorted body designs. Best thing to feed fancy goldfish is a sinking pellet that easily crumbles, as they are naturally a bottom feeder. Digestibility of ingredients is not really important, because of the chemical process used to break down the ingredents on a cellular level while being manufactured. Swallowing air off the surface while trying to snag an over sized floating pellet is not good either. Also, always presoak a floating pellet to softness, because you want the pellet to easily fall apart while in the fishes mouth.