Fish trap Design HELP

Ishkabod

In my 80 gallon i have a chiwindi that has got a couple of bites on him and instead of healling they have become coverd in bright white stuff(fungus or ich?) :boxed: Anyway he needs to be removed but i'm totally inep :blush: t when it comes to catching fish in this tank it seems so a fish trap should do the trick. I tried to google but the only ones i found were the pop bottle ones that are too small for him. I need to get him caught today as i'll be busy the next three.

Thanks

L :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml:

Edited by Ishkabod

Use a divider

Get something to divide off an area of the tank. I use eggcrate but coroplast or a bought divider work too. Then move the fish you want onto the smaller side of the divided tank. I usually remove the decorations on that side to make it easier to catch, then just net out the fish.

I use it all the time when catching fish in my 90g african tank. Now it takes 5-10mins to catch a fish.

The white stuff sounds like the wounds got infected. Ich is white, salt like dots, not furry patches.

I wish the divider would help my situation but even in my 30 gallon with no decorations i have a hard time catching one fish out of the 30 that were in there. I tried the darkness method but most of the fish that i want to get out hide reeelllyyy well. In my 80 gallon i have about 7 or so fish that need to be moved to another tank for various reasons includeing a holding female. Thanks anyway for the advice and Happy Canada Day L :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: :ml: EDIT Oh and it's definately ICH I just got a better look at it a few mins ago so the salt added should help the situation for now until i get him out of there as the stress is definately too much right now and hopefully the removal of females will calm things down.

Edited by Ishkabod

My Chiwindi is getting more beet up. I tried again last night after lights out to get him out but i think i really stressed him. I even used a makeshift barrier but it didn't work as planned.

Someone know how to build a trap or have any ideas. I have time to wait for him to get into the trap but the sooner the better for his health.

Thanks

L

I know this is a fairly simple idea, and may be very hard in a 80 gallon tank is two large nets with handles. Place one net in the tank and leave it, don't try to move it til the fish are very near or in the net. Then slowly move the second net slowly herding the fish or more than one fish toward the net in the tank-go slowly as not to startle the fish as they will scatter. If you don't want to use a second net as a herder due to tank decorations you can use a wide shaped stick. This is not a fast process. You may find it easier to get a fishing net or two from a outfitter store as they are meant for larger fish and I think come with longer handles for fishermen in boats. I don't know if ciclids school when startled, but if they do catching more than one may be a bonus for you. Also you can leave certain fish alone by not herding them only the fish you want. I have used this method to catch skittish fish in a way smaller tank then yours but it worked with patience. Hope this helps-as no one likes to see fish sick.

If one fish has ich they all have it... treat the whole tank! Raise the temperature and treat the tank with rid ich to kill the ich.

I'm keeping a careful eye on the whole tank but the only one with symptoms is the chiwindi and that was only in a bite on his body. It's gone now and hopefully the salt will take care of the swimmers. Heat is good to increase the life cycle of the ich to get it gone faster but i don't need that since the ich is allready off the fish and no others are affected so i'd rather not mess with the heater and make a possible mistake. I'm going to keep the salt treatment up for the next month to be sure it's taken care of. The odd thing is that there has been no additions or changes to the tank for at lest a month other than the glass unerneith the light being cleaned of thick algae last week. I assume that there was a very very small amount of ICH in the tank but the tank conditions were such that it didn't have a chance to get a hold on any of the fish because of their immune systems or something like that. But then the stress from the bullying and the injury gave the Ich a chance. I've delt with Ich Before and have spend hours reading various accounts on the treatment and lifecycle of Ich so i really need help with a FISH TRAP. Trust me the ich is the very very least of my worries. I have Rid Ich and I will use it if i see even one of the non stressed fish showing a spot after 2 weeks is up, As it is i see no need for the chemicals)which always make me cringe) and with time on my hands a singe spot will not go unoticed long enough to cause problems. I have a total of 2 cups of salt in my 80 gallon right now(equal to double the dose that the carton reccomends for sustained use)

Thanks anyway

L