Algae Magnets

Marty

Anybody have any experience using algae magnets to remove brown algae from 10mm thick glass?

I've been looking into the Mag-Float Magnetic Aquarium Glass Cleaner but I'm skeptical if they work well. Currently, I use a metal scraper that works fine but since the tank is about 2' tall I have to get my arm right into the tank to get at all the algae. Just wondering if the magnets will work for keeping up with the algae.

I think brown algae is the easiest algae to clean in aquariums. The magnet will easily clean the brown algae but they cannot clean the tough green algae that will appear in your tank.

I use the medium size Mag float on my tanks( I think one of them has 10mm glass) and they seem to work fairly well but I dont have too much algae growth on my glass as my ottos and nerite snails seem to be able to manage eating most of it off. One thing to be aware of with these is if you have fluorite or fluorite sand (and probably plain sand) in your tanks. The high iron content in the fluorite can cause the grains or pebbles to stick to the magnet between glass and scrubbing material on the mag float which I imagine risks scratching your tank. Just make sure you dont scrub super aggressively near the substrate and you wont kick up the sand etc and everything should be fine.

I use a mag float. It does a good job of cleaning off the softer types of algae(really good at brown, the soft green etc) but its not the best at cleaning off the green spot algae or any of the harder algae.

I use it on my 90g that has mostly soft algae and I sometimes transfer it to my planted tank where I use it to keep the glass clean between times I use the razor blade.

I've used them in my tanks in the past, and have set up tanks for people who now request them every time I set a tank up for them - just make sure you don't catch any sand between the scrubber and glass, or it can cause a scratch.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!! I think the consensus is that they are pretty good so I'm definitely going to go pick one up.

I use the medium size Mag float on my tanks( I think one of them has 10mm glass) and they seem to work fairly well... One thing to be aware of ... is the high iron content in the fluorite can cause the grains or pebbles to stick to the magnet between glass and scrubbing material...

Great advice I'll keep that in mind.

I use a mag float. It does a good job of cleaning off the softer types of algae(really good at brown, the soft green etc) ... I use it to keep the glass clean between times I use the razor blade.

Exactly what I plan on doing.

I've used them in my tanks in the past, and have set up tanks for people who now request them every time I set a tank up for them...

That seals the deal for me!

Has anyone tried a D.I.Y. version?

Them baby's is exspensive. :shock:

:well: Probably more effort than it's worth... The smallest one is only $7.99!

they are expensive, but well worth it. i have one in each of my tanks and wouldn't do without them ever again.

They are only 15.99 at Big Al's for the Mag-Float medium size one that's good for 10mm glass... That's not too bad! :huh:

The mega ones get more expensive but you have to have a huuuuuge tank with super think glass (i.e. over an inch thick!!)

Here's the link: Big Al's Mag-Float

Edited by Marty

My magnet sits near the back and collects algae, ever since I virtually retired it. Every time I used it, I swore some new scratches appeared on the face of the tank. It didn't seem to matter how careful I was, or how sure I was to clean it first and avoid picking up grit. Whether this was all operator error or not, I eventually found a manual scraper more effective on the types of algae that plague my tank anyways (mostly green spot, BBA).

I've never used a magnet and am fortunate enough that I don't have to remove algae often. However, I found that old debit, credit cards etc. are great and don't scratch the glass.

Great, a visa bill with Indian almond leaves and lots of female bettas from thailand. Aquabid is like lavalife for bettas!! :heart:

Just an update:

I bought one at Big Al's. They don't carry the Mag-float brand anymore for some reason, so I bought the Underwater Treasures brand one. It was $15.99 also, and it works reasonably well to keep the glass clear of brown algae between times you can get in there with a metal scrapper tool.

It is not very effective with the green algae, but the magnets are super strong (very painful when they pinch your fingers!) and the soft felt on the outside magnet is good to do double duty and clean the outside glass.

I got the medium size one cause my glass is 10mm thick. This model floats so if you lose the inside magnet (which never happens) getting it back is easy. Going around to the different walls of the tank is pretty slick too since the magnet is so strong!

Cheers

Marty

Edited by Marty