Infertile?

Raven

Is it possible that my kribs are infertile? They just went by try # 7 and nothing. I couldn't even tell which cave they picked this time, they sort of seemed to pic both for a couple of days then stopped guarding anything again. Today it a water change day, and i'm also going to re arrange the entire set up to try and make it better for them. I just don't know why i'm not seeing any progress. Maybe i should of stayed with mumbas.

Are you seeing eggs? Are they clear or white? Or are you getting wigglers and then having them die?

How big are your kribs now? Not sure what age kribs start breeding at. They were pretty small when you got them at the auction, they just might not be ready to breed for you quite yet.

Another thought, check to make sure you have a male/female pair?? Though same sex partners are legal now in Canada, they don't produce children. I've seen female angelfish "pair" up and spawn, so perhaps kribs might do the same???

female is almost 2 inches and the male is over id say almost pushing 3 inches. I've seen eggs twice in there spawns, the rest of the times i haven't been able to see and have been going off of their behavior. Since i've rearranged everything i won't miss anything now. Found the pond snail in a cave the last spawned in, not sure what to think of that. The eggs i did see were a yellowy orange, but the did spawn in a Terra Cotta pot. Defiantly sure its a boy and a girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they started guarding last night, i checked this morning and no eggs -.- Later today i expect 2 things, behavior to go back to normal or seeing eggs. I really with i could figure out whats going on >.<

Do you have any dither fish in the tank? Sometimes this stimulates a stronger pair bond and better parental care of the spawn.

About a month back I had a pair for about 3 months spawn ever few weeks. with them in the 20g was 12 black phantom tetras.

Can you post a picture of the pair? Are you sure it is a pair and not two females?

there is 4 tiger barbs, and 2 diamond tetras. Looking to get a pair of ameca spendids as ottos and pleco aren't doing anything with the algae. Heres is new pictures from after i had rearranged the tank, the pair are in there somewhere.

Fish080.jpg

Fish081.jpg

Fish082.jpg

Not sure if its from her or the tigers.

Some are a bit older and occurred when he was a juvi with the others that i had sold.

Edited by Raven

the parents are starting to guard again, and the female has presented herself f a few time so i've been checking like crazy for eggs, haven't seen any yet and she's still got her belly. Once she either loses her belly or i spot a single egg i'm going to put the pleco into a live bearer holding net. Not sure if it will float good or if i'll weight it down and trap him on the bottom, it will be his temporary jail cell :D