Disinfecting aquarium gravel?

jesp

I got some new gravel which I want to disinfect. I have like 100lbs

Do I have to boil it all in small portions at a time, or can I use a 10% bleach solution and soak it all at the same time for 30 minutes?

Thanks very much!

You can soak it in a weak bleach solution - 10% is pretty strong and will definitely kill all the grublies. Make sure you rinse well, and when you fill the tank, add a couple capfulls of PRIME or extra thiosulfate (whatever you're using as dechlor) right to the gravel.

Thanks Jason. I figured it was ok, as that is what I use for my reptiles, but I didn't think about using extra Prime just to make sure. Good thinking.

Yes, evolution, this gravel is new to me rather than "new"-new.

I do not find sand easier to maintain. It cannot be cleaned with water changes because it gets sucked up. When it is not moved around it can be bad for fish, from what I understand, due to certain organism growth? Finally, I don't like how it all kind of settles to the bottom and I can't really make different layers and whatnot with it.

It CAN look very nice however.

If you have lots of water flow then you don't need to vacuum into the sand bed to keep it clean. Just skim the surface with your siphon and everything will come up.

When the sand does not get disturbed frequently (plants or MTS), it will become anaerobic. If this is the case, you can purchase a really tall siphon tube. The sand will stir up half way up the tube when you vacuum it. Then plug the other end of the hose and let it settle back down. Some sand will be in your siphon container but you can easily pour that back into the tank.

You are absolutely right about the layers. Eventually, it will all even out and be at the same level.