DIY Water filter???

Jester

So i recently just picked up a 90 gallon long fish tank and stand and am thinking about a DIY filter, does anyone have any opinions on the idea or personal experience they could tell me about.

I found this video on you tube which was one of the nicer canisters filters built ... but I am still very unsure if its a good idea or better to spend the 300.00

I respect the desire to build a filter and I say go for it. However, I strongly suggest going out and buying or aquiring an Eheim 2217 and make it the biological foundation of this aquarium. So while you are playing around with a diy filter you'll know that you fish are safe with tried, true, and unbeatable 25 year old filtration technology!

If you have a pump and a container of sorts, making a DIY sump is super easy. I had a 20gal rubbermaid tub for fishstuff that got empty after I sold, and re-setup a bunch of it. Check out MonsterFishKeepers.com for some good and easy overflows (if your tank isn't drilled). I picked up a couple plastic pails from the dollar store and drilled holes in the bottom, which hold my biomedia; used some eggcrate to hold sponge across half the tote, and put the pump on the other half. It took me maybe 1/2 hr to set up.... we just got a new camera, and I haven't figured out how to move pics onto my comp, yet; but, I'll try to get pics for you

Do a search on you tube for 'DIY PVC Overflow' if you don't want to drill any holes in your tank. Then look up 'DIY sumps'. Personally I like the canister filters but when I move, I'm going to setup a sump. If you are not in a rush to get your tank setup, I would definitely recommend a sump, even if it is a planted tank.

The tank I have has stickers on it saying "do not drill" so thats sort of out of the question lol

Also I found a sump for a 90 gallon on kijiji but they asked me to make an offerwhatissomething like that worth?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-90-Gallon-Aquarium-Sump-W0QQAdIdZ214734384

Also I found a sump for a 90 gallon on kijiji but they asked me to make an offerwhatissomething like that worth?

http://edmonton.kiji...QAdIdZ214734384

Maybe ask Ray at sourceaquatics what it is worth. But I'd offer $75 - $100, that is what it is worth to me used. However the bio media which is not listed what kind, also plays a part in the price. Ask what it is, if it is just scrub pads from the dollar store or cut up foam pads then that media isn't worth much, but if it is good quality bio-balls and atleast 10 or 20 gallons worth them offer a little more.

If that sump is 90gal in size, that's HUGE for anything under a 150gal tank, IMO. If it came off thier 90 gal tank, then you already know the perfect size tank it fits!

Here's my sump for a couple 33gals stacked

Here's the bottom 33gal

33sump004.jpg

Here's the drain - these tanks were drilled when I got them, so you'll want to look up the DIY overflow

33sump001.jpg

Here's where it drains into my biomedia (scrubbies, biocubes & lava rock - just what I had kicking around the fishroom)

33sump002.jpg

And here's a pic of the sump

33sump003.jpg

Hope this helps!

Maybe ask Ray at sourceaquatics what it is worth. But I'd offer $75 - $100, that is what it is worth to me used. However the bio media which is not listed what kind, also plays a part in the price. Ask what it is, if it is just scrub pads from the dollar store or cut up foam pads then that media isn't worth much, but if it is good quality bio-balls and atleast 10 or 20 gallons worth them offer a little more.

"Hi shannon, Oh I see, well it has the "plastic balls" type media, an the sheet filters, kinda like the plastic scour pads for dishes only they are in sheet form, how big a tank do u have to be using this sump? I also have the jet pump as well.

I'm not really sure what to ask for a price, I suppose the tank is worth about 300 new, and the jet pump is about 225.00 new, as I don't need it anymore, how about 200.00 for both?.....u can call me if you wish, I'm at **********

Thanks Maurice "

"Hi shannon, Oh I see, well it has the "plastic balls" type media, an the sheet filters, kinda like the plastic scour pads for dishes only they are in sheet form, how big a tank do u have to be using this sump? I also have the jet pump as well.

I'm not really sure what to ask for a price, I suppose the tank is worth about 300 new, and the jet pump is about 225.00 new, as I don't need it anymore, how about 200.00 for both?.....u can call me if you wish, I'm at **********

Thanks Maurice "

plus bio balls and a pump for $200 sounds like a very good deal to me.

Wet dry filters are awesome biological filters and this one is made very well. Although a pain in the butt to filter mechanically (filter wool before the bioballs) from the sump because of the work involved to remove the lid to replace the filter wool. But that can be fixed at the tanks over flow. One of the options of having this size of sump is the right side can be used as plant tank for added filtration or it can be egg crated off to make a tank for other fish or many other options. If you're handy with the saws and drills make yourself a nice 2x4 stand and stackem' high!!

Will