Dry Ferts - Where to buy in Edmonton?

heff

I'm looking at starting to properly dose my tank as I believe I have crossed the line of "enjoying the fish "to "enjoying the plants with the fish hanging around". My crypt wendtii is enjoying life along with my christmas moss, but my corkscrew val isn't doing much and my moneywort stems have a couple yellowing leaves after a few weeks of owning them.

Right now, I've got some Seachem root tabs and I'm lightly dosing Seachem Flourish Comprehensive a couple times a week.

I've read that the way to dose a low tech tank is to get some Seachem Equilibrium or GH Booster of some type, some KNO3 and some KH2PO4.

Dry fertilizer isn't the kind of thing you buy regularly, but where do you guys get it when you do?

Thanks!

~Hugh

Hey, I recently took the plunge into dry ferts as well. I went to All Seasons Garden Center at 10027 81st Ave. They were great and very helpful in getting me what I needed. It cost me about $35 bucks for enough ferts to last me probably a year or more. One note is that the potassium nitrate (KNO3)is now restricted in Alberta and they are only able to sell it premixed with water unless you have a explosives license so it doesn't come as a dry powder. I'm not sure if you can get dry KNO3 very easily anymore.

LOL, yeah I told a buddy that I work with that I was looking for potassium nitrate and he said I'd probably have the cops asking about my recent purchase...

ATM, you mention a year or more worth of ferts. How large is the tank you're dosing and are you using CO2?

Edited by heff

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. Got my 1L of KNO3 and my 250g KH2PO4. All Season didn't really know what I was talking about when I said General Hardness Boost (Calcium and Magnesium).

Do you guys have a specific product for hardness boost so I can walk back in knowing exactly what to buy?

In Edmonton, we don't boost our hardness b/c the tap water is already hard enough. Plus, All Seasons is a garden centre, and don't deal with aquatics; so, they won't know much about aquatic gardening.

Edited by jvision

Hey Heff,

I have been researching ferts and schedules and stuff all morning, I've found a great site that i'm going to try. Instead of posting on your thread i'm going to start my own. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your dry ferts and what you bought??

Thanks,

Anyways check out my post if your interested.

Not at all, I think it was just short of $15 for 250g of KH2PO4 and 1L jug of KNO3 (250ml of fertilizer mixed into 1L water).

It took about 30 minutes for them to get it ready for me though; the main guy was dealing with a dude that looked like he bought all the stuff for a pond. Finish with the guy who's dropping a grand or so 100% or split time to help the guy buying < $20 of stuff... oh the tough decisions.