Lighting setup for 29 gallon

strayner

It seems like many lighting fixture lines don't have fixtures that are 30 inches long to fit a 29 gallon. The ones that do seem to come with actinic bulbs standard and moonlight wish is really not much use for a freshwater planted aquarium!

Does anyone have any suggestions what a good light setup might be that is relatively affordable (i.e no metal halide)?

I've got a Nova extreme t5ho with 2x bulbs but it's too weak to get the really vigorous plant growth that i'd like.

If you're buying new, most LFS (at least the ones I've bought from) will swap out the bulbs for something more plant-friendly.

I've never bought lighting at BA's, but when I bought from AquaGiant, they did; as well, when I buy from All Seasons Garden Centre, they do w/o a problem.

Aqua Giant has some CHEAP CHEAP stuff in there, I guess because it's all shipped in from China. I have had no problems with any of the stuff I have bought from them, The store might look a look unmaintained we will say but most tanks and fish look healthly and like I said cheap and in my opinion the stuff that they sell will compete with stuff from Big Al's

Hm, that fishneedit place has the mh's at pretty cheap. Are they quality? how can they be mounted?

Dosing EI?

EI == Estimative index..

Its a dosing regime for ferts. google will give you a complete answer. I think the planted tank section has a pinned thread regarding this subject.

Read some reviews, bit the bullet and was a little impulsive, ordered the 150 w metal halide, 170 with shipping, we'll see how it works.

Ah, I've seen that before, I think i will order some dry ferts and switch to that when i get my light set up and my new co2 reactor.

Why not try a metal halide fixture? I know fishneedit.com will be releasing their 30" 4 x t5ho fixture in October. I'm waiting for that one for my 29 gallon setup. Most 30" fixtures that I have found are PC lights. They are okay but cost so much for replacement bulbs.

As for your plant setup, are you dosing EI?

Thanks for posting that fishneedit.com website. Their lights are pretty cheap! DO you have any of their fixtures? Are they good?

Why not try a metal halide fixture? I know fishneedit.com will be releasing their 30" 4 x t5ho fixture in October. I'm waiting for that one for my 29 gallon setup. Most 30" fixtures that I have found are PC lights. They are okay but cost so much for replacement bulbs.

Thanks for posting that fishneedit.com website. Their lights are pretty cheap! DO you have any of their fixtures? Are they good?

Haha you are totally going to buy one like I did!

Haha you are totally going to buy one like I did!

Maybe :unsure: Well it was more of a "Mom, guess what your buying me for my birthday " kind of thing :smokey:

ordered the , , , metal halide,.

Ha - Ha, thats why they call it quick sand. You in it now.

Welcome to the jungle B)

Do not buy fertz on line. If your neighbor down the road charges a reasonable price - buy it there. Then when we all need bulbs they will be there for us , 9-5 to sell us more.