Can Dwarf Puffers be kept with Sunspot Shellies?

Terra

I have a 17g tall tank currently housing white sailfin mollies that I'm considering converting into a cichlid tank.

I realize I cannot have many fish in this tank, but I was thinking of having it house a pea (dwarf) puffer or a Green spotted puffer and some sunspot shellies. Would these two species be compatible with each other? If not, I thing I would be interested in getting a puffer (either dwarf or green spotted). How many of these little guys could I house in this tank?

I know GSP's are slightly brackish; would the shellies tolerate a bit of salt in their water?

Basically any and all information regarding the compatibility of these species would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I personally wouldn't mix the two...they're too different (imo)

If you want another fish in with your Brevis? i'd put in some guppies or danios or something. Something that is fast and can get away from an attack. Shell Dwellers are fierce, especially when they breed...but what Cichlid isn't mean when it breeds right? LOL

I agreee with Winging'it and Revelution. Dwarf Puffers are notorious fin - nippers and are extremely aggressive; they are best in a species tank only. I'd recommend Pea Puffers since you can keep more than GSP in a 17 Gallon tank. You'd need about 2-3 gallon/puffer, more males than females in a heavily planted tank with plenty of hiding space.

Edited by AvianAquatics

Thanks again for all the feedback.

I don't know if puffers are for me. Shellies seem more interesting in their behaviour, and I'm also considering a pair of kribs...I hear these (kribs) are a relatively peaceful species of cichlid and appear quite beautiful.

Any feedback on keeping shellies with kribs?

they are best in a species tank only.

i think this summed it up real nice... in a large enough tank that is set up correctly you might be able to look at a few julidochromis transcriptus... that would be pretty much it, or another species of shell dwellers, but in a 17g tall tank, i would stick to one species.

yaaaaa...you're probably best with keeping just the Brevis in the 17 gallon. If you want more fish you should go with a min. 45/55 gallon long. Even a 33 long would be better than what you've got. The more room you can give your fish the happier they will be. ;)