What is it?

Raven

On the bottom of the drift wood there is stuff that clings to the drfit wood and to gravel. Its kind of white and fluffy looking and i have no idea what it is. The drift wood was boiled and baked before adding it to the tank and has java moss growing on it. I'm afraid to disturb it too much in case whatever is under there causes some sort of illness. Does anyone know what it could be?

Sounds like the normal bacterial bloom that grows on new driftwood.

It's happened to me, and many other people, and it won't cause problems, it will go away with time.

Some fish will even eat it with no ill effects, lol.

If it really bothers you you can scrub it off, but it stinks!

ewwy. i wonder who would eat it.... looks pretty gross to me. can be removed?? does it clog filters or anything? removing it sounds very messy, and sounds like it would cloud the water super easily.

That sounds normal on new driftwood. You can try sucking it off with the gravel vac or brushing it off with the gravel vac sucking up the bits as you do it. Or if its securely attached just remove the driftwood and scrub it.

I think plecos should help keep it down but it eventually goes away.

so the white stuff is a fungus?? i'm not sure how i'm supossed to treat it. When the next water change comes in a couple of days i'll re read it and try something.

so the white stuff is a fungus?? i'm not sure how i'm supossed to treat it. When the next water change comes in a couple of days i'll re read it and try something.

it says to leave it as its beneficial, or use a toothbrush to brush it off with the intake of you siphon right over top of the area your scrubing so the spores get sucked up. IMO i would just leave it as its a natural source of food for the fish in the aquarium, also stated in the article

It's actually a fungus- you can read about it here(scroll about half way down the page).

Saprolegnia is actually an Oomycete and therefore not a 'true' fungus, it is more closely related to the brown algae. I shouldn't have said bacterial bloom though.

(sorry to sound like a smart @$$, I work in a laboratory that studies fungus, haha)

id just leave it, the more you change things in your tank, the more you'll stress your fish. sounds like your tank is still getting settled, and your better off letting things do just that. IME it'll eventually go away, but it takes time. The wood in my tanks had that stuff on it for 6 months, i just planted a low light plant in front of it so i wouldn't see it.

Its been running for 5 months or so, and when i rearranged the tank a few weeks ago it caught me off guard. Never had this happen before. As long as it would harm anyone i'll leave it alone.