DIY filter/waterfall

ABwildrose

As I was researching pond stuff, I came across this interesting skippy filter. I have seen variations of it at a couple different sites. It is similar to those biofall type filters by the looks of it. I am semi-contemplating having my son make me something along those lines (the Skippy Jr. plans probably)

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

Edited by ABwildrose

I like what he did with plants on top. I just finished my filter for my pond, I used a 5 gallon pail with about 20 pounds of lava rock, then I found the Beckett replacement filter kit at Home Depot for $15.00. Inside was a 1ft square piece of mechainical filter like Skippy and a 1ft by about 1.5 inch thick piece of biofilter foam. I used abs for the plumbing and overflows. On top I used cut out pieces of universal furnace filter, it is blue spun plastic about 24 by 30 inches that costs $5.00 at Rona. To do what Skippy did you might need 4 or 5 if that was all you were going to use for filtration. I tested mine and it is capable of passing approx 2500 gph with 2x 1.5 inch out flows. If any one is interested I can take pictures. I plan on having the filter at one end covered with another house I am building similar to my mill. This one will be a "Dry Goods Store" :rolleyes: Total cost for this filter would be between 30 and 50 dollars

Edited by HOSStile

Shelley I showed your sister when she came by for the liner.. I hope you got it ok. My pond is about 16 feet long, total gallons????? Anyway thanks for the link, I just pound more new ideas into my head for future projects. I will let you know how efficient my filter is for the size of pond and provide pictures. :)

• 1 month later...

In case anyone else found the 'Skippy' external pond filter site, I actually decided to build one.

The hard part was finding the right size of outdoor rubbermail container, but I did find one. Co-ops have them (cattle water feeders), but I got my smaller 30gal rubber pail from a garden supply store (ellerslie road) - its designed to fit inside those old wine barrels. It as not cheap ($40.00) and I wish I looked around a little more (None of the hardware stores had anything suitable)

Anyway, I build the filter, started a fishless cycle, which just finished today. I did a 95% water change (lots of work) - thankfully my pond is only about 200 gallons.

I will post pictures soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an external shot of my DIY filter, the hole to the left of the filter is access to the pump which resides in a screened container. When I first set it up unscreened one of my comets decided to sleep in there during the night when the 2000 gph pump is shut down and only the 200 gph is running to keep the biofilter wet. Anyway comet shake in the morning :( I plan to cover this with a little house I am building. Next time I clean out the filter I will shoot a pic of the design to any interested.

Edited by HOSStile

Water is very clear coming out of the filter, would like better circulation but the filter is at far end of pond, deep end at other end. Will have to test for nitrites to see if bio-filter is working with, 3 large comets, 12 smaller comets, 6 Ranchus and whatever else falls in that can swim.