Advice needed! Moving my fishroom!

I'm planning on moving my aquariums from the small living room to the basement due to lack of space. The basement is a few degrees lower then the living room which is good in the summer, but not so good in the winter. I have heaters but I'm still deathly afraid of a temperature drop (but they often experience rapid rise in temp) since the tanks ARE only 10gal each. I'm currently using Hagen Elite Radiant brand and have found 2 works really well and the other I can't get the temperature set no matter what. When we moved here in March the temp for the basement was around 18-19C, so at Christmas time it will really drop! What are some good reliable heaters? And any tips or anything I need to be aware of in keeping the tanks in the basement?

I'm planning on moving my aquariums from the small living room to the basement due to lack of space. The basement is a few degrees lower then the living room which is good in the summer, but not so good in the winter. I have heaters but I'm still deathly afraid of a temperature drop (but they often experience rapid rise in temp) since the tanks ARE only 10gal each. I'm currently using Hagen Elite Radiant brand and have found 2 works really well and the other I can't get the temperature set no matter what. When we moved here in March the temp for the basement was around 18-19C, so at Christmas time it will really drop! What are some good reliable heaters? And any tips or anything I need to be aware of in keeping the tanks in the basement?

in my 10gallon, i got the cheap submersible type from riverfront... it keeps the tank right on 78, only problem is that i can't adjust the temperature...

If you can, build a fishroom. I am currently renting and not allowed to do anything permanent, so I just hung some 2x4 studs and tacked 1" styro to make a 6'x4' room. I think the whole thing cost less than $50. I use a small space heater to heat the room, and only have a heater in my pleco tank b/c it's 4' long and furthest away from the heater.

What are some good reliable heaters? And any tips or anything I need to be aware of in keeping the tanks in the basement?

Eheim Jager is my choice. They're accurate, reliable, fully submersible and do not need to be unplugged when changing the water. The outer glass tube is made of a material similar to pyrex and the glass will not break when exposed to one extreme temperature to another.

vince0 - Ooh that's nice! But I think 78 is a bit too high for the CRS and for all my tanks when the light comes up, practically all my tank is high light :/

jvision - I'll keep that in mind. They kind have to go to the basement because there is no room to put more in my living room! They are going to dent area in the basement so I'll see if I can seal if off and add a small heater to the room. Thanks for your suggestion smile.gif

Evolution - I just looked up the Eheim Jager heater and I saw a temperature range on the top. Can you like say set it at 24 and it'll always maintain that temp and will turn off if it gets too hot, but on if it gets below that? The one I'm using I have to turn it on, wait till it gets to the desired temp, and then turn it off. But if you change the set temp then it doesn't turn on when it gets low. It really sucks.

Evolution - I just looked up the Eheim Jager heater and I saw a temperature range on the top. Can you like say set it at 24 and it'll always maintain that temp and will turn off if it gets too hot, but on if it gets below that?

Absolutely! They also can be adjusted to bang on with a little patience.