Red Texas -- can they breed?

Bandi

I have some young ( one inch) red texas (blood parrot and Escondido texas parents) and was wondering if, when they grow up, if I can look farward to breeding them together. Seems to me I read somewhere that the red texas hybrid is a mule (sterile). Any comments???... not interested in any personal comments about how terrible hybrids are...thanks anyway.

Seeing as the Blood Parrot is a hybrid itself, chances are you will not get viable parents. That being said, there were many who said that Blood Parrots were sterile, and we've seen that just isnt' the case.

I would recommend reading the following discussion, specifically the comments on page 2 by betta bob. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132336

Getting high quality "red" texas, that fully peel into deep red colored fish with nice pearling is not as easy as it seems. I've seen a LOT of fish online lately being sold as RT's that for the most part just look like carpintis with a hint of red overtones to them.

Send me a PM when your fry get bigger, I'd be interested in seeing what they look like.

Did you breed these yourself? Chances of getting something grow out of quality are very low, but not impossible, I have seen one case where a first Gen (like what you have) had one fish turn out outstanding, .....keep us updated, as for being sterile , they most likely will be, but not 100%.

No one really knows if Parrots are hybrids, or variants, their actual make up is kept secret but my best conclusion on looking into this A LOT about a year ago is that the original breeder insists they are a "sport" of I believe it was red devils...so obviously a mutated various, and he insists no hybridization took place, but we will never know for sure...good luck on getting something nice, chances are youll end up with a group varied greatly in quality (when compared to an ideal red tex) from some that dont fade, to yellows, to orange, and if you are extremely lucky bright orange or red.....