New 360 gallon acrylic

RDFISHGUY

I never took too many pictures because its been done before. There are lots of links. Here are 2 of the ones I used http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Gopi_Making_an_Acrylic_Aquarium.html

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_acrylic_aquarium.php

Here's some pics of the sides glued to the back:

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg.

If you want to build a tank this size you will need 2 other sets of hands.

When I glued the pieces together there was a lot of air that I couldn't get rid of no matter how fast, or how many times I went over it with the solvent. So when I finished gluing all of the pieces, except the top, together I went over all of the seams with a paste that I made. Basically I saved all of the shavings from where I drilled the holes for the overflows and returns and mixed it with solvent to make a syrup. Next I lifted one end at a time and sealed the seams with this mixture which I applied with a syringe. Here's the end result:

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

The plus side to an acrylic tank is that it is crystal clear. I have a glass tank in the same room and there is a huge difference when looking from one to the other. Also you get to play with a torch as you have to flame the edges.

There is also lots of dry time which can be used to drink beer or finish the honey do list. This is where the friends come in handy as it is impolite to leave your friends while doing other chores.

This build cost :

$1400 acrylic and solvent

$300 for sump

$300 for heater and pump

$500 for the stand

$200 lights? Can't remember for sure.

$150 for gravel

$100 plumbing parts

$160 for glass tops and knobs

$60 for a guy to come and router the holes for the top.

Edited by RDFISHGUY

Ok, it's official, I truly do hate you, lol, gorgeous tank that should be in my basement. Very nice!!

I'll build you one.

gorgeous tank and beautiful aro!

Thanks.

Great job. Very impressive on the pro look you've accomplished. I like how you have the openings in the top, my acrylic is a pain in the @$$ to get anything in it.

Just router out the top to the size you want and get glass tops. That's what I did. The openings are 24x24 on each side and 16x 24 in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...