Hello

medhatnoobee

Hello fellow fish fiends,

I'm a newbie from Medicine Hat (hence the username) that for the last two weeks have been dreaming of the possibilities. I'm the guy that was given a tank, filled it with water in the morning, got a dozen comets, and a week later had three left. I hop on the interwebs and find out where I went wrong. I lack patients (I'm working on that) and follow through (a year to renovate my kitchen, not working on that). I'm learning more every day and it's starting to consume me. I have visions of a basement full of tanks. I don't think I can be content with just one. My wife cannot understand. Presently (little over two weeks with first drop of water in first tank) I have a mix match of fish in a 25 gallon tank and I'm on my third day of battling columnaris. It has one more gourami in it's grasp but everyone else has gotten better. This was my lack of patients that got me into this mess from a lack of cycling. Lesson #1 learned the hard way.

My goal will be a large coral reef sometime in the future. For now I want to fix this tank and have no fatalities for a while. I have a 30 gallon that will be starting up soon and I'm watching the local kijiji for a 50-70gallon deal for a larger community.

Thank you for your time.

haha - not laughing @ you - just at your story ;)

I'm fairly confident you will learn everything you need to know here! If it isn't here there are Thousands of hours of reading on the web!!!! I can't stress enough research research research I spend days looking up info on something before I go out and purchase it!!!

Anyways man good luck!! Why don't you post a pic of your tank and your little friends that inhabit it!!

Don't worry, I lack patients and motivation as well (actually those are my two worst traits lol) but for fish keepers patient will come naturally eventually (hopefully) and you don't really need motivation since you'll love fish keeping so much that you'll do anything fish - related on your own accord (for me anyways). And welcome to AA welcomeani.gif

Why don't you post a pic of your tank and your little friends that inhabit it!!

As you wish, in this 2week old tank there is 2 feeder goldfish left (of 12), 2 Chinese algae eater (mistake #2 buying before researching) 3 gourami (of four) and I haven't counted the minnows (unknown make, 10ish, none dead) and crayfish (5 or 6, also hardy) the kids caught out of the river. The columnaris is just about cleaned up. The last female gourami had it bad and I didn't think she would make it but today she's getting her color back and the fungus that developed on her tail has cleared up as well. Finally something going right.

post-4875-128286357874_thumb.jpg

Oh-ohhh, now I've gone and done it. Found a few tanks used and bought them all up. One is an established 55G with electric yellow cichlids, and a few other fish. A 45, 30, and 25 come with the deal. Add that to my 25 that still isn't cycled, as well as a 30 and 10. Now what to do with all these.....Hmmmmm. I might need to make some room and get rid of a kid.

:welcome: Always good to see another 'mad hatter'

We are few and far between down here.

Get some sunshine on those puddles - I will bring on the free plants.

I have just undertaken a major gleaning; but give me a week or two , , , I will unload a pile on ya.