Anyone have personal experience with eradicating and defending against Hydra?

DanGofCalgary

So, I have emtpied out all but one of the tanks that have a hydra outbreak in them, leaving only the plants and pest snails behind.

I intend to commit genocide on the Hydra - Hydracide! but I want the plants to live, plus I want to come away from this with a plant treatment method, so that any future plants I bring in to my tanks will be treated to a hydracide bath before being introduced. The Spixies are doing a good job of munching down the hydra, but I want to eradicate it and have a pretreatment for plants that I bring in.

I have read of flubendazole working, and that it wouldn't harm the plants, but woudl have the added benefit of possibly killing off the pest snails. I intend to treat the tanks, let everything die, then remove the plants and wash them off in fresh water, as well as a full tear down of the tanks and restart.

Any experience with this? There will be no fish present so as long as the medication can be removed when I complete the 'cure' I am willing to try it.

PS: please post only personal experience you have had related to this topic.

I am not interested in your google skills, I can google it up too.

I am not interested in that you think hydra comes in with the brine shrimp eggs, so can't be eradicated.

I am not interested in the protests of the "Save the Hydra foundation"

I am just trying to find a way to pretreat plants for hydra and hopefully pond and pest snails, and anyone's personal experience with same.

If no one has had personal succesful experience, then I will 'trail blaze' and post my success or lack of success regarding same.

Dan

An ex-president of CAS and a master breeder in her own right, years ago, suggested double dosing with Aquari-sol. I've used it ever since and never had a problem, even with fry of many different species.

For your info,not every place sells Aquari-sol but Big Al's had it!

Cutting back the feeding to only what the fish will eat in 1min - feeding just once per day - has always had the desired effect for me. IME, hydra only show up when I over feed and allow smaller bugs to procreate... or when I overfeed small live foods like BBS or Microworms

An ex-president of CAS and a master breeder in her own right, years ago, suggested double dosing with Aquari-sol. I've used it ever since and never had a problem, even with fry of many different species.

Thanks. And that would be Grand Master on her title. Even if that title isn't used any more, I still recognize it. notworthy.gif

- I know who you mean, and miss her input on my fish keeping, but not surprised to receive it 'second hand'. I will get some and give it a try.

Do you use it as 'pretreatment' for plants before adding them to a tank as well?

Edited by DanGofCalgary

I have found that a direct application Flourish Excel gets rid of them. However, I'm not sure what concentration you'd need to eradicate the whole tank.

Someone also posted recently that assassin snails (or it might have been Asolene spixi snails?) ate them like candy.

• 3 weeks later...

hey dan,

have you tried gouramis. they are known for eating hydras

no. My snails (non hybrid asolene spixi) take care of it. They can't get it all, and that is why I was looking for a chemical cure. I had hydra in 4 tanks, 3 of them I have done a full tear down on, the 4th is just holding a bunch of fish that I am going to spawn at a later time. I have to look really closely to find a hydra that the snails haven't gotten already, but they can't get them all.

Is Aquari-sol shrimp safe? I'm having hydra probs with my shrimp tanks and want it gone asap annoyed.gif

No, Aquari-sol is not safe for shrimp. It contains copper which will kill shrimp. If used in the tanks, it would be many months, maybe never, suitable for shrimp.

See this site: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4720

Is Aquari-sol shrimp safe? I'm having hydra probs with my shrimp tanks and want it gone asap annoyed.gif

No, Aquari-sol is not safe for shrimp. It contains copper which will kill shrimp. If used in the tanks, it would be many months, maybe never, suitable for shrimp.

See this site: http://www.fosterand...cfm?pcatid=4720

good to know. I'd suggest getting some Asolene spixie snails then. I don't know if the hybridized ones eat hydra. From what I understand, the hybrids eat plants, whereas the 'pures' don't. I might put a small amount of them in the Calgary auction.

I am new to the hobby and had a major algae break out. I had every kind of algae that I could find on the net and then some.

I read that over doseing with Seachem Flourish excel would work, so I tried it.

For 2 weeks I put 6 cap fulls evey day in my 60 gallon tank with all my plants and fish in there.

Most of it cleared up, now I put 1 or 2 cap fulls in every day or 2.

My fish are doing good and my plants are groing like crazy.

I don't now if this helps you or not but I thought I would let you know about my experience.