Another Substrate Question

Charley

Hi,

I'm considering setting up a 30 gallon planted tank with kuhli loaches and harlequin rasboras and I'm wondering if a mixture of Flourite Dark Sand and 3 mm pea gravel would be a suitable substrate. The gravel should be smooth enough for the loaches, and I think the Flourite will be good for the plants. Would Flourite be the best additive for the plants or is there something that would work better for the plants (and/or the loaches)? I've also considered a mixture of eco-complete and the pea gravel.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Well, I don't really know but I just use it cause it brings out the color in my shrimps.

It's best to use only 2 kinds of gravel that compliment each other. Usually when you vacuum the gravels the stuff you put at the very bottom can surface and it can be a pain if it looks messy/bad.

a planted tank with kuhli loaches

What could be better than that !?

I have never puchased any of the products you mentioned - but do regard , , ,

I will agree will avianaquatics.

Any time you mix substrates of dissimilar shape - the fatter will rise to the top

That is to say; any time you mix sand with pebbles the sand eventualy disappears and the pebbles protrude.

I was thinking that if I use the flourite sand instead of the gravel, it will settle to the bottom (and I might even start out by layering the two different materials), so the plants will still get the benefit of the flourite, and the loaches will have the smooth gravel. If the sand gets stirred up, it will eventually settle again, so that should help keep the tank looking neat.

I should also note that I was planning a low-medium light tank with no CO2, fertilizing as necessary for the plants.

If it's a low light tank with no CO2 it really doesn't matter what kind of substrate you use since you are depriving it of the most 2 important things it needs to survive. Just use whatever you think it'll look nice :)

I've been using Play Sand in planted tanks for years, and Khuli loaches LOVE Play Sand! But, if you want something darker, go for the Flourite Sand, or something similar.

All of my tanks are a mix of flourite, play sand and gravel though not a pea size gravel. Am quite pleased with the results even in the very low light tank that has wild bettas and lots of different anubias and crypts. In the fishclubgirl's plants for dummies, there's 4 components to plants, substrate, light, fert and water chemistry. Meet the requirements of that plant in a plant friendly tank and success!!! Loaches will love having the hiding places!! Please keep in mind, this is the opinion of someone who's very much not an expert!!