High PH

Joboy

Upon noticing lethargic behaviour in my Clownfish recently I checked the PH level on my established 72 gallon saltwater/reef tank. Reading is well over 8.7 (sample is dark purple). Sample taken at source is +/- 7.5. Sample taken when marine salt added to source water is immediately reading over 8.7 (purple) and after 24 hours(well mixed and pump agitating) is still over 8.7. Other tankmates are an approximately 9" Regal Tang, 6" Yellow tang, 3" Flame Angel, 3" "Other" Angel and a small crab (no corals are present). These inhabitants are active and eating well although the Regal Tang is somewhat faded in colour. Temperature is about 79 degrees and nitrate, nitrite, ammonia results are normal. I have however noticed test result for calcium is ,by calculation, 320. Performing 10% water changes weekly, up to 25% since noticing PH issue. Anyone have any suggestions on how to address this issue? I am hesitant to begin treating the water with chemicals.....yet. Thanks in advance for your input!

Edited by Joboy

I thought PH for saltwater is supposed to be high? or is it just a little too high? It sounds like the salt you are useing is raiseing the PH and not anything in the tank so increased water changes wouldn't change anything. Most fish products i have seen have websites with contact info and if you were to tell them your problem I'm sure they will have a better idea as to why this is happening then i do. One thing i have noticed about salt for saltwater tanks is that most have other things than just salt in them on purpose.

Try a different salt in a sample and see what the result is.

Good luck

L

I don't know, maybe it's the salt mix, but you need to fix this fast, because fluctuating pH kills nitrifying bacteria, and the resulting ammonia in water with a pH of 8.7 is deadly, fast! Being that the tank is already over stocked you could lose everything over night from one ammionia spike. It was fluctuating pH at the Calgary Zoo that cause the huge ammonia spike that killed all their stingrays and the same thing can happen here.

Edited by Evolution