Sterbai Cory Breeding

vince0

Hey folks, I have a group of 11 Sterbai Corydoryras that are continually spawning. Recently i decided to set up a breeder net and try to hatch out some fry and get myself a larger group. Only issue seems to be to actually hatch the eggs. Ive had two failed batches so far and im looking to hear what people's cory breeding techniques are?

The net needs some water circulation. I've had success with placing an airstone in the net, and also pointing the output of a canister filter either to or into the net (HOT Magnum is great for that).

If I don't have anywhere for the fry to go, I'll put some plant in (moss, Najas... anything soft); but, usually, I'll just put the fry into their own tank, or release them w. the parents if I'm sure they won't get eaten (my BN Pleco male will often punt his eggs, so I hatch and release those).

With less common cories I remove the eggs one by one with my finger tip and transplant them in a hatching tank by placing each egg exactly where I want them on the glass, which is 1 cm away from any other egg. I then put an air defuser under them, but the bubbles do not pass over the eggs but infront of them and that creates a good upcurrent preventing fungus from falling on them. I change 50% of the water every day with water that sat 24 hours with an air stone going in it. Keep the hatching tank water 4-6 degrees cooler than the ideal temperature for the adults.

With less common cories I remove the eggs one by one with my finger tip and transplant them in a hatching tank by placing each egg exactly where I want them on the glass, which is 1 cm away from any other egg. I then put an air defuser under them, but the bubbles do not pass over the eggs but infront of them and that creates a good upcurrent preventing fungus from falling on them. I change 50% of the water every day with water that sat 24 hours with an air stone going in it. Keep the hatching tank water 4-6 degrees cooler than the ideal temperature for the adults.

thanks a lot for the info man

You're welcome. If you try it and it works and you have C. sterbai coming out of your wazo, please sell me a dozen or 2.

im keeping the number of eggs low that im pulling each attempt... I want to get a method to breeding/raising them that will garantee quality stock so for now there won't be too many at fist. I have a group of 11 that i acquired as two seperate groups in order to help with genetics in the long run.

Over the next month or two i should have a 20l breeder set up for them so ill let you know closer to then.

For the time being they are doing they're spawning in the community tank. I pulled 5 eggs on friday or saturday and i think three as still viable. I guess time will tell if removing the java moss from the breeder net will help.

Right now the output for my fluval 305 is facing the net, but the flow coming out seems very minimal. If this time doens't work, ill try putting the net in front of an aquaclear 20 power head and see if i get better results.

I kinda like this trial and error ive been doing with this species. Other species seem very easy, like my american flag fish. I put 20+ eggs in a breeder and they all hatched, without any effort on my part. The sterbai have been spawning for 6 months and I'm just getting around to trying to hatch the eggs.

Edited by vince0

You're welcome. If you try it and it works and you have C. sterbai coming out of your wazo, please sell me a dozen or 2.

I want to get a method to breeding/raising them that will garantee quality stock so for now there won't be too many at fist. I have a group of 11 that i acquired as two seperate groups in order to help with genetics in the long run.

PROFESSIONAL!

I want to get a method to breeding/raising them that will garantee quality stock so for now there won't be too many at fist. I have a group of 11 that i acquired as two seperate groups in order to help with genetics in the long run.

PROFESSIONAL!

lol ive been at this for a few years, on and off since i was 11. you kinda pick up on some do's and don'ts... and why would i want to ruin a beautiful fish like c. sterbai through inbreeding? there's plenty off fish already ruined out there that genetics don't matter anymore. If i wanted to make fancy hybrids i'd do that. But i love wild types and believe in being keepers of the marvels mother nature gave us. So I bring that into my fish keeping.

Edited by vince0