Angelfish Breeder Tank

vince0

Hey Folks,

I finally completed my angelfish breeder tank today. It is a 35g (36"x12"x18", with a aquaclear 50 filter, 100w eheim submersible filter and a 36" single t8 light strip. The gravel is a mix of small black fluorite and small dark river gravel. It is planted, although i couldn't tell you all what kind of plants are in here. The pair has been spawning for me for the last six month and i thought i would finally give them privacy. There are apple snail (difusa sp.) in the tank as well for algea control and there are some Asolene spixi hopefully coming soon. There may also be some horned nerites comming as well, but that really depends on wether or not I can find some lol.

Heres a pic of the "final" product. The plants have some growing to do still, keep in mind this tank is only a week old lol, although the filter material is a few weeks old.

P1020083.jpg

Thanks

Vince

Your fish may spawn on the side of the tank or on the heater. If you want something that you can control a bit more, lay a piece of slat against the side of one wall (that reaches at least 3/4 of the way up), or use a larger terra cotta pot. Angels love to spawn on a (slightly off) vertical surface, so if you give them something that's better than a heater or tank wall, you will be able to remove the eggs and hatch them artificially if you decide to later.

Hey Vince!

When I gave my Black lace angelfish their own tank it looked very similar to this. I'm not sure if your going to let them parent raise in that tank or if your gonna pull the eggs. If your going to let them parent raise in that tank, you should take the gravel out. Once the fry go free-swimming, they will immediately go into the gravel, get stuck and die. Just something to consider.... Like the look of the tank though, very nice. Good luck!!

Dan

Hey Vince. Very cool and thanks for sharing. The large stem plant on the left is a Pogostemon stellata then a Nymphaea lotus zenkeri (Red Tiger Lotus). I think the larger one on the far right is Rotala rotundifolia.

You've probably seen this before but it's a must watch for every Angel fish hobbyist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBF4CfUCVpY

Edited by Kronosdelsol

This specific pair has spawned on anubias, and sword plants. I figure since there isn't any other inhabitants in this tank, they may choose the red tiger, or one of the many flat spots on the rocks. I have a few smaller swords kicking around I could put in there, but I'm trying to keep away from the very large swordplants that will take over the tank. Ill leave it this way for a few months and see what happens, If they decide they absolutely want an swordplant to spawn on, they will get it.... spoiled bastages