Tank Set Up

darkangel

I am finally planning on setting this little guy up soon, and am looking for some opinions.

Tank is 240 gallons (96L X 24W X 25H)

Filtration is either 2xFX-5s or a 60 or 70 gal sump

Lighting, between metal halides and T-5s I have enough lighting to pound 7 to 8 watts per gal into this puppy

Substrate and decor to be decided on.

My options are

1. Reef tank, I'm thinking a bit pricy and too much work, and may not be a good idea with the long hours I put in.

2. Planted community tank (small fish), A lot of work but a good option.

3. South American, 4x altum angels, 6-8 red hook silver dollars, 4x red streak gold sevs, 12x red or orange laser cories, and a half dozen plecos (not sure what kind)

All opinions (good or bad) are welcome as well as other possible options.

If you can make it past the break-in phase (around 1yr) a Reef Tank can be really easy to maintain (if you have all the equip) - easier than planted, IMO. Personally, I'd to Planted w. Altums, larger tetras (congos and bleeding hearts are my fav's!) and OL Cories (much better color than reds, IMO). I've seen some Altums on some lists lately and have been really tempted, but I just bought a bunch of blue angels from Harold that I'm ejoying. :)

all your options sound good, but a reef tank that big is gonna cost you big time...though i'm sure you can find a deal on LR and stuff. I like the sounds of a huge planted tank...and when you do plant trimmings you will be popular...lol But then again I also like the idea of the angels and cories and severums.

I vote for planted tank with SA #3. Choosing plants like Vallisneria, Anubis, Java Fern and Echinodorus will give you the low maintenance you are looking for while retaining the nice aquascape.

If you do the reef tank, you can make most of your live rock. There are lots of people getting out of the hobby and you pick up most of the equipment used. As you said, you have a sump that you can build and modify into a refuge. Don't forget a large container to age and pre-mix your water.

I like your idea Jason. I also like the idea of option 2 and 3 (planted S.A.), the only thing wrong with that is I would have to leave out the silver dollars (It would be like adding a dozen rabbits to your veggie garden).

However I could sub the silver dollars for large tetras as mentioned. I had a brackish tank about 25 yrs ago, but stocking options were very limited at that time. After doing some research on brackish tanks of today, the level of brackish I was looking into is only a few points from full salt, so why not go all the way. As far as cost goes, I think I may start with a tank about half that size first.