300Gallon Asian Arowana Comm tank :)

hustler

Well here she is, After a brutal day of moving it and 2 days of plumbing I have an up and running darth vader style 300 gallon arowana comunity tank smile.gif

It has an auto water changing drip system with a 120 gallon sump with a 1.5HP pump running it...... Had to do a return line just to tame this big pump down.....

Right now i have 4 red tail gold asian arowana, 6 silvers,4 red hook silver dollars, 2 giant gourami, 1 RTC, 1 fei feng, 3 tinfoil barbs, 1 rainbow shark and somewhere in there a pleco (i hope) I will be swapping out silvers for more asians in the future and PRAY i end up with 7 in total..... And some rays :)

Here she is..... what do you think?

081.jpg

115.jpg

I have the auto water change drip system plumbed direct to the drain

047.jpg

035.jpg

008-2.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice looking tank! Are you going to get the sump working properly? It probably just needs some flow adjustment? Who would trade an Asian aro for a silver aro? And damn, a RTC, I take it your next tank is going to be over a 1000g?

Hey Evo.....

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed? LOL There is nothing wrong with the sump flo it is working 100% properly what would make you think any diffrent? I dont think anyone would trade an asian for a silver..... But i will be swapping them out as i purchase more....? And yes i do have an RTC...... just like many others on this board and around the world that dont own 1000G tanks Thanks for stopping bye.....

No not at all, I feel great! LOL You asked what we think... I noticed that your wetdry (biological filter) isn't functioning well the way it is set up with the water line as high as it is. Basicly as it sits in the picture it's just a sump with almost no filtration other then the tiny bit of black stuff on the left. Also, I was wondering if you were going to get a bigger tank because of the size all those aros will get and being the RTC can get 300lbs and 5' and will eventually be big enough to eat a full grown asian aro! I only ask because I have to build a 1000+ tank for my rays and one for my electric eel as it will get 8' and it is already 3.5' and growing about 3" every 3 months. As for the swapping OUT the silvers for Asians... I just missunderstood, sorry for the confusion.

No problem bro,

As for the sump the water level is that high because the auto drip system drains out of the side bulkead into my sink drain. It gets plenty of water movement in the sump and i also have air stones under the bio ball tower (tiny black stuff is 20 gallons of bio balls)and the ceramic rings as well as a constant flow of water from the bump via the return line so the entire sump is oxygenated even though its submerged, no diffrent than an ehiem or fx5 canister filter its all submerged except its a 120 gallon space filled with bio media:) As for the RTC Ive kept them almost my whole life off and on, I had one in a 230 gallon with 2 2foot silvers for almost 6 years and he ended up around 32 inches before i moved him to a friends indoor pond. Im not too worried about seeing it 5 feet long anytime soon and in the event it actually outgrows my tank before i sell it I will have either built a plywood monster or got myself a giant tenecor set up. I understand your point about size issues and buying fish anyways but its not like i have an arapima in a 55 gallon :) I am set up to handle large fish. Thanks for your imput

Here is a better pic of the sump, with the 1.5 HP pump It requires about 4 inches above the inline to avoid sucking air into it aswell. I dont know how i could set it up any diffrent or make it any more productive as far as bio is concerned but if you have any ideas please feel free :) Im always looking to improve

001-6.jpg

It looks as though the prefilter on the far left is next to impossible to access or atleast difficult, especially on a regular basis. If the black stuff in there is not a bunch of bioballs, but some other media like the stars or sponge blocks, then I suggest you remove it all and just put bioballs in there above the egg crate and leave the rest of that far left chamber empty. Doing this you'll not have a need to access that area for long periods of time, but with other media it will clog easily and just be ineffective.

Then, using the very next smaller chamber at the bottom of the sump where the water from the first chamber travels next to... err here...

IMGP0636.jpg

Please forgive my spelling errors.

Where is the drip water entering the tank? Is it anywhere near the drain exit?

Edited by Evolution

Evo Awesome drawing :) Makes this crystal clear

The far left chamber starts with 4 porous sponge blocks at the top with an eggrrate shelf, then the bottom part of that far left is all full of bio balls. Its easy to get at the sponges, i just slide the lid pull them out around the pipes. It is actually set up almost exactly like you have it drawn there.

Ill take some better pics in a bit here to try and explain it better.

The drip enters the tank right at one of the returns so the fresh water gets blown around the tank fast.

Ok here is the foam then egg crate then bio ball compartment,

001-7.jpg

Then into the foam and filter floss,

002-3.jpg

then the ceramic rings and into the inline pump

003-4.jpg

Ive done a fair bit of reaserch on submerged bio balls and it makes little diffrence as long as its got good flow and oxygen...... and that they are not dirty.

I dont really know what else i can do with this setup?