300Gallon Asian Arowana Comm tank :)

hustler

LOL redO...... Dont think i havent noticed it up for sale :)...... I almost hit you up a few times now lol..... Im just trying to get all the kinks worked out and figure out a battle plan for stock. If i can move some of my silvers ill take it for sure, Im trying to get some rays in there too but im trying not to overstock it..... keep the numbers where they are at :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL redO...... Dont think i havent noticed it up for sale :)...... I almost hit you up a few times now lol..... Im just trying to get all the kinks worked out and figure out a battle plan for stock. If i can move some of my silvers ill take it for sure, Im trying to get some rays in there too but im trying not to overstock it..... keep the numbers where they are at :)

Ill give you a good deal. Id try and sell a silver and get a black -roll- I really love mine, I would keep him, but I am selling my tank.

I agree with what Evo is saying. The bio balls would be more effective if you put them in the top section. What you could do with the space underneath is a moving bed filter section.

http://www.canadiankoiandpond.ca/EA/K1.html

Also it would be more effective to put your ceramic media and lava rock into a taller narrower section to prevent blow by. This is what I am going to do with mine.

IMG_2915-1.jpg

Your set-up does work but it could be improved. Mine isn't the best either. Good luck.

Wow, Thats really cool.

Ill have to take a look at this again, I didnt want to put the bio balls first due to dirt and crap not being filtered before them. and there is alot more bio balls then room in any other compartment. Rd i may be interested for sure :)

Wow, Thats really cool.

Ill have to take a look at this again, I didnt want to put the bio balls first due to dirt and crap not being filtered before them. and there is alot more bio balls then room in any other compartment. Rd i may be interested for sure :)

Put your filter pad/wool, whatever you want to call it, on top of the bio-balls. That is where mine goes. You just have to change it every 3-4 days to keep it flowing properly. Its highly effective at getting out the big stuff but it clogs up in a matter of days. You can rinse and re-use or just chuck it out like I do and add a new piece. I buy the roll from Big Al's but perhaps you can get it from a sponsor on the forum.

I ordered 65 litres of the kaldnes bio media. Should be here in a week or so.

Im trying to think of a way to get the bio balls out of water but really there isnt any room, Ill try making walls of the ceramic rings that makes sense, Also i have the return line from the pump blowing above them so there is tonnes of current and areration there as well.

Thanks for the help guys

Thats where i have it now, 5 or 6 pads at the top then the bio balls right under with a bubbler in the bottom of the bio balls

What mean is you put a tray above bio balls for filter floss. Next is your bio-ball chamber(above water). Then your kaldnes or jap mat or sponge or whatever media you want submerged. Your bio balls should fit where all your sponges are. You may have to put them together like lego to get them all to fit but it should work.

The second section will depend on what you use in the bottom of the first section. If you use foam or jap mat then leave this section empty. If you choose to go with the Kaldnes then this is where some foam should go. The 3rd section is where your wall of ceramic media/lava rock which should extend above the water line to avoid blow by. That's it.

Im trying to think of a way to get the bio balls out of water but really there isnt any room, Ill try making walls of the ceramic rings that makes sense, Also i have the return line from the pump blowing above them so there is tonnes of current and areration there as well.

Thanks for the help guys

Sounds good.

So.... I have 4 inches to the frame of my sump that has no water lol...... I dont see a way around submerging everything..... Ive googled this to death and i dont know where else to go...... The bio balls have to be submerged..... I have a 5" air disc under them now..... but if that isnt enought what other options would i have?

I figured with a 1.5HP pump there would be enough oxygen for them to thrive and with the bubbler it would make it close to a trickle setup.... If not then im screwed lol..... there is no way to bring down the water level at all..... And i need that first compartment for the quick clean sponges.....

Edited by hustler

• 2 weeks later...

Jam packed the sump with another 10 gallons of ceramics.... Tons of pads ect ect..... still half empty lol

Thanks RDfishguy for the help

038-1.jpg

added a little crossback to the mix too :) very happy how this tank is coming along

015.jpg