New 180 Gallon! Questions on Compatibility

CursiveDuck

Hey! I`m so excited, this week I`ll be picking up my new 180 gallon tank! I`ve never had such a huge tank before so this is going to be really exciting. Though I`m not sure where I stand at how full I already will have the tank when I move my eels over. Right now I have An Delhezi Bichir, an albino senegal, and another girl that I can`t seem to classify, but sorta looks just like a brown Delhezi. They all currently are cuddling in my 90 gallon, which I`ve been told would be okay for the three of them. Given I want to move them to the bigger tank, my girlfriend wants to maybe get another eel or two. I`m just wondering does that leave any swimming room for something? Or about how full would a 180 be with 5 bichir eels (That grow to roughly 15inches each). And If I do have room! I'd like some suggestions in what I can throw in there that will swim nicely on top and really spice up the tank!

Hey! I`m so excited, this week I`ll be picking up my new 180 gallon tank! I`ve never had such a huge tank before so this is going to be really exciting. Though I`m not sure where I stand at how full I already will have the tank when I move my eels over. Right now I have An Delhezi Bichir, an albino senegal, and another girl that I can`t seem to classify, but sorta looks just like a brown Delhezi. They all currently are cuddling in my 90 gallon, which I`ve been told would be okay for the three of them. Given I want to move them to the bigger tank, my girlfriend wants to maybe get another eel or two. I`m just wondering does that leave any swimming room for something? Or about how full would a 180 be with 5 bichir eels (That grow to roughly 15inches each). And If I do have room! I'd like some suggestions in what I can throw in there that will swim nicely on top and really spice up the tank!

Well I have in my 180:

1 delhezi

1 albino senegal

1 ansorgii

1 weeksii

2 palmas polli

1 lapradei

1 ornatipinnis

1 ropefish

I've also got a school of 8 silver dollars that are doing well in that tank as well along with an exCichlasoma bocourti.

So you have options. I personally like the silver dollars, get a nice school of them going and I know pagani agrees with me :)

A weeksi is what my brown girl was sold to me as, I really have no clue if she is or not, she doesn't really look like anything or fit any of the descriptions. Do they all get along Ray? I mean the ornate is considerably bigger, does he pick at the smaller ones or does he just let them be? Lol I have a whole lot of learning to do when it comes to these huge tanks :P

Yes they all get along. All of the bichirs are relatively the same size with the albino senegal probably the smallest. I have 2 other bichirs in another tank that I am growing out before they move to the big tank. If the brown one is a weeksii, take a look at its head. Its other common name is fathead bichir.

Pagani I'd be all over it if my eels were big enough. They're not near full grown yet, a arowana that size would devastate the poor guys. Plus I still need to get the tank and get it cycling :P

Are you moving over the substrate and/or filter from the 90? if yes, then no cycling...works well.

Maybe it is a weeksii, it has a really large head lol. And so all those bichirs will get along fine in just a 180 eh? If that's the case my girlfriend will be thrilled that we can get a bunch more eels :P Oh and Wingin' I will be using established filter media not the whole filter itself. I might grab some water from the other tanks I have in the house with the next water change I do and throw some of that in there too. I also planned on using a bit of gravel from both the tanks, Not a 100% of it but a chunk from my 55 and my 90 gallon, then the rest new. Though I'd still prefer to let it sit and cycle for 2 weeks or so anyways.

Edited by CursiveDuck

• 2 weeks later...

Aye! I forgot to mention I finally picked up the tank about 2 weeks ago! It's in great shape, the tank anyways, but the stand itself was horrendous, so me and the girlfriend decided to tear its finishing apart, and were going to refurb the stand! Its coming along great so far! :D

Heres what it looked like to start sort of (We already ripped the main part of the linoleum off):

IMG_1758.jpg

Girlfriend ripping off the tackiness :P :

IMG_1762.jpg

End of day when we got all the glue off the top and a good chunk of panelling off :

IMG_1763.jpg

Start of day 2: After we got the panelling off, we decided the back actually looked nicer then the front! So we converted it! Heres the back (Or what use to be the front now!):

IMG_1765.jpg

Filled some major holes and screw holes on the new front :

IMG_1767.jpg

End of day 2(Accidental NLS ad :P):

IMG_1770.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how we managed it with our schedules this week, but me and my girlfriend, with some help from our buddy have managed to get a nice bit of work done on the stand again. We have a new linoleum on it, it's still settling so we haven't cut it down and made it fit the edges proper yet, but it should be done it two or three more work sessions. We also managed to get 1 coat of stain on it, and it already looks ten times more beautiful! It won't be long till that piece of a stand is actually presentable :P

Installed some doors:

IMG_1807.jpg

Put some handles on the doors, and started working on the top of the stand.

IMG_1808.jpg

After a coat of stain:

IMG_1815.jpg

Probably another 1 or two coats of stain to go, the doors are all function able with little magnets and everything now! And after that to cut the rest of the linoleum to fit properly, and it should finally be done!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I managed to finish staining the stand finally! And I cut the lino after it dried! I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to get the lino to sit on the sides as well. As I don't wanna try and glue them there, that's just way to much work for myself! I'm thinking maybe a trip to rona to find a trim or something to go around to keep the lino edges down might be my next step. Anyways here the stand as of last week!

IMG_1828.jpg

And here is the stand once we got the stain to the color we wanted (The picture hides the redish hue it has) and cut the lino! And please forgive me I forgot to shut the doors on the stand so it doesn't look as pretty as it actually is lol! :P

IMG_1834.jpg

It should all be done by tomorrow night hopefully! Then I can get to work on getting the tank itself clean, installing a 3d background from Gills N Fins once I decided which one I want. And of course getting some lights, an fx5, and working on a nice DIY LED lighting from the DIY section here on the board! Then down to aquascaping. Still a ton left to do before I get it running :P