Green slime algaeish takeover

Ishkabod

I have this green slime algae (which i think might be a type of cynobacteria from what i read) and it`s slowly taking over my new fluval edge aquarium. I just set it up but all the gravel, plants, fish and filter media are from the previous set up. the only change was the 100% water change from moveing it. I tried to research it. I dosed with florish excel and even tried a black out and reduced feeding. Any other tips and tricks would be much appreciated. The fish in the tank are going to be replaced after the auction so if i need to treat with something that will harm the fish then that is a possiblility at that time.

Thanks again

L

Gah! I hate that algae slime!

I find that it turns up when there is too much light and/or nutrients in the water. If the plants you have in the tank cannot absorb enough nutrients to establish a good balance the slime will appear.

The fact that you moved gravel (with poop) and what not from another (probably larger) tank also makes me think that there is an excess in nutrients in the water, and the small Edge tank has not established a balanced cycle yet. If you rinsed the gravel before putting it into the Edge then my theory could be wrong. :eh:

I've had success with manually removing the slime, and reducing an hour or two off the light timer.

If it is BGA (cyanobacteria) then a 4-day Blackout should do the trick. Are you dosing ferts? If so, here's how to do it:

1) Big WC (on a 6gal tank, do as much as you're comfortable with while keeping the fish wet... 80-90% isn't too much). Remove as much BGA as you can.

2) Dose KNO3

3) Black out - that means BLACK OUT, not just no lights (cover w. a blanket or something) for 4 days. If fish are healthy, they should be fine w/o food.

4) Another big WC

5) Dose ferts w. a bit extra KNO3.

Increasing circulation could help as well.

If it is BGA (cyanobacteria) then a 4-day Blackout should do the trick. Are you dosing ferts? If so, here's how to do it:

1) Big WC (on a 6gal tank, do as much as you're comfortable with while keeping the fish wet... 80-90% isn't too much). Remove as much BGA as you can.

2) Dose KNO3

3) Black out - that means BLACK OUT, not just no lights (cover w. a blanket or something) for 4 days. If fish are healthy, they should be fine w/o food.

4) Another big WC

5) Dose ferts w. a bit extra KNO3.

Increasing circulation could help as well.

I followed this schedule back in July when I came home after 2 weeks vacation to a tank over run with BGA and it worked great. After the 4 day black out the BGA was gone and then fixing the ferts,co2 and water flow helped keep it from coming back. I used garbage bags to completely seal out any light from the tank.

FIRST OFF Thanks for the help and tips. I`ll need to get my hands on some KN03. The tank was pretty basic and messy plant wise when i got it and it`s even more so now so i need to rescape it.

I`ve dosed a double dose of florish excel to try and get rid of the hair algae that was takeing over and now i have a problem with this stuff.

I only have the basics for a planted tank. If someone is going to the auction and has a bit of KN03 to spare i`d much appreciate buying a little off you.

Thanks

L