How many test kits do you own or use?

African_Fever

How many test kits do you own or use?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I posted this on another forum and got some interesting results. I know that everyone always recommends to test your water as soon as something goes wrong with your fish, or test when you're just starting out. But how many people out there actually do as is 'recommended'?

Personally, I don't use any. I picked up a pH kit a while back b/c Neil was always bugging me about my pH, and after the initial test for him, I don't think I've used it. I've been keeping fish since I was 8; back then I'd take a sample to the store to get tested when setting up a new tank, but once it was established, that was it (and that was only for the first 3 tanks; by the time I was 14 I realized that the whole cycling thing was unnecessary if you already had established tanks).

When fish start to look not so well, first thing I do is a water change (25-50%, depending on tank size). If that doesn't help, I know it's not the water, so I start looking at what kind of meds I may need to use (even then, the only time I've actually used any in the last couple years is for bloat).

I've honestly never had trouble breeding any Africans, ever, once they're established and happy. If the tank is set up right for them (tankmates and decor I've found more than anything else), they'll do their thing (often way more than you want, eh HOSStile!).

Just thought I'd see what other members thoughts are on this and their own experiences.

Mods: feel free to move this to another if you feel it's better suited to encompass a broad range; I didn't really know where else to put it.

I have an electronic PH meter so use it frequently. As a general question I use my test kits which include, phosphate, iron, KH/GH, and nitrate frequently in my planted tank however when I had Africans I used my PH meter and my KH/GH kit until I had the water where I wanted it and then simply added some buffer at water change times. Now I don't buffer at all (Wpg. water) and only tweak my water when I am into breeding barbs and tetras and some Corydoras at which time I do use my PH meter and KH/GH kits.

Rick

I have the AP freshwater kit but i never use it. The only time i really did was when i was fishless cycling. I know its recommened that you test each week but i never have. IF something goes really wrong(mystery deaths) I"ll test but most times i dont'. If soemthing doens't look right I do a water change.

I"m moving this to the equipement section :)

I use 2 kits currently.

PH and Nitrate.

I test twice a month.

Being that i'm new into cichlids and from what i read before getting into it, Everything led to making sure the water quality was top notch...

I never used to test my water before I had cichlids, and I never had one problem ever, other than ich once which i got from my LFS.

I used to bring in a water sample to my LFS and i got them to test my water to make sure i could have the certain fish i was buying. I never had any problems like high nitrites or ammonia... everytime i got the test done, I was told i have normal to a bit high nitrates. it was never a concern though.

With my current 90 gallon tank with 20 fish in it... i change the 15% to 20% every week or 2 and my nitrates are in check.

I have had these cichlids now for about 2-3 months, but i have had other fish like guppies, angels, bettas, tetras, among other community fish for the last 5 years. Before that I helped my dad with his fish ever since i can remember. My Dad never used to test his tanks ever, his philosophy was similar to what AF said "if there is no signs of anything wrong... everything is fine". I guess the apple doens't fall far from the tree, but once i get into breeding i will be testing more often with more water changes with young fry/fish.

just my IME.

nevchewy

I have a kit that contains tests for ammonia, nitrite, pH, and a couple others, but it didn't come with a test for nitrates, which is the only one I would use if I actually had it. Obviously I'm not too worried about it or I'd get one.

I 've only tested regularly when I was setting up new tanks.

I have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH low, PH high, KH, GH, phospate, and iron tests. I tested regularly when setting up the tanks, but usually only use the nitrate and PH high test now for my salt tank. If things look off in the FW tanks, then I test to make sure everything is ok. Maybe we learned more through the agony of cycling our fist tanks than we realize..

I used to have test strips, but now i simply dont have one cause i dont got the money to buy one. I tried at the feb auction, but the price went out of my range.

Sorry if I made you waste your money, Kyle. :D

Being half mad scientists at heart, I test for most parameters during the course of the seasons. Seasonal variations in the RD water can cause minor swings in pH and KH, and with our local water treatment plant under expansion I like to keep an eye on things, just to be on the safe side. I actually phoned the head tech at the local water treatment plant just 2 days ago, due to some variations in pH & alkalinity that were showing up on my tests. He confirmed my suspicions, and due to our discussion I'm now adding some buffering agents to my Tang tank.

I admit... after I'm done cycling and stocking a tank, I don't test my water. The last test I did was on my marine tank about a year ago during its cycle... I've since tossed out my test kits :unsure: . IMO, if you keep your stocking light, and are able to keep up a good routine on your tank, testing really isn't needed.... the last time I checked nitrates in my cichlid tank (~1.5 years ago) my nitrates were under 20, and that was after the tank had been running for a couple of years with 50% weekly water changes with the occasional (once every couple of months) near 100% water changes. My cichlids have spawned, the fry have grown up nicely with nice colours and my corals are growing at an incredible rate... thats all the indication that I need for a healthy tank. I'm sure some people find my way of keeping fish appaling, but its working nicely for me :rolleyes:

-Rich

I've got the deluxe model of test kits - I believe it has 6 including 2 kinds of pH, Kh, Gh, etc. I also have copper, nitrate, and O2. When I started, I tested for everything before every weekly water change, now I just throw my concoction together, and never test. It did give me confidence when 1st starting up, though. :rolleyes:

I have the Hagen 'small FW kit', pH, ammonia, nitrites and hardness... added a nitrate test to that combo.

I tested hardness for curiousity's sake, when I first picked up the kit. Have not touched it, since. Once I move to Edmonton, I'll probably haul it out to compare the two cities, first hand.

I now test ammonia, nitrites and nitrates during every water change. I'll test everything right before the water comes out, then run the nitrate test right after the last drop is filled up to get an idea of how I have affected the level. Next day, I test all three in the tank, to make sure I didn't throw something out of whack.