Red Tropheus Chimba - Colouring

punman

I purchased 30 Chimba Red Tropheus six months ago. They were around the two inch mark. From my pics shown here you can see that they are in various stages of coloration. I had Black Kirizas before and they eventually all coloured up to look identical. Will this happen with the reds or will some always be brown? Will they all lose their stripes? Are the reddest ones likely males? The reddest ones seem to be exhibiting male behaviors (spitting, leaving the toilet seat up etc.).

Based on their current size (3 inches - 7.5 cm) and coloring, do you think spawning will soon take place? My blacks were spawning at that size.

dsc2616o.jpg

dsc2601h.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by punman

I have a large group of Tropheus Ndole Bay's, they are about 2 to 2.5 inches in size now and they look identical to your Chimbas. these are my first tropheus so I really don't know when to expect them to start spawning.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can now report that my chimba tropheus are engaging in "sexual activity". I saw two of them spawning today and the female has a mouthful of eggs. Let's just hope she can hold them first go around but if not, they soon learn.

Three days later the eggs were gone. However this week I saw a female holding and although she did not seem to be bursting at the seams, she appeared to be struggling to keep the eggs in there so I took a risk and stripped her. I now have four Red Chimba fry!! (nevertheless fry that are too "fat" to swim) so I will tumble them for a week.

Most of my adults are now a solid colour (not so much of a striped pattern).

Edited by punman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...