NOISY Fluval 403

Terra

Oh my goodness my fluval 403 is driving me crazy!

It's started making this awful noise like it's trying to run dry even though it's pumping water. It is slightly intermittent but happens most of the time. I opened it up and the plastic thing that contains the impeller wasn't fitting properly. When it was engaged properly the impeller wouldn't spin.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, how did you fix it?? I feel like throwing it out the window but don't have a replacement large enough for my 30g.

Please help!

Terra

I would check that there is no visible damage to the impeller, impeller shaft, and impeller cover. Do you see any black rubber 'bushings' on each end of the impeller shaft because they should be there and help prevent vibration within the impeller chamber.

If all looks o.k., I would try to prime the filter again and wait until the filter is completely full before you plug it in. If noise still persists, then air is getting into the unit somehow. Check all fittings to make sure they are tight to the hose.

Hope this helps.

Clean out the impeller chamber and clean off the impeller, you should be good to go after that.

Thank you everyone for the helpful hints. It has gotten a bit bettter. I've tried the shaking while running and it seems to have helped. It's still way noisier than it should be though in my opinion. Perhaps I'll have to break down and take it apart...