Bulkheads and poor glass surface?

hustler

I need to put a 1 1/2" bulkhead in my 230 gallon, problem is the glass looks chipped and has a rough inner surface...... I have b=never used silicone on a bulkhead before and have yet to have one leak so I am wondering how to approach this? I know the bulkheads at big als have a double washer seal and its a rubber, better than the standard seal so Im thinking to give that a shot and as a back up maybe put a bead of silicone down with it??? Is there any way to sand down glass? buff it with a grinder ect?

005-1.jpg

Should be able to use a mouse or palm sander. When I ordered my 230 from Bow Valley I told them I wanted to use HOB filters so leave a spot where there is no euro bracing. When I got there to pick it up it had Euro bracing. They just took a belt sander and sanded it down in 2 spots. Problem solved.

I've used the grinding bit on my Dremel to make a hole bigger, so it should work to smooth out the surface. If you don't want to have to use a razor to undo the bulkhead at a future point, you can use Petroleum Jelly to prevent leaking.